Any reviews of TP-Link Vigi NVR and Vigi Cameras?

CasualUser

n3wb
Reaction score
These reviews are scarce and very rare to find. All I could find on youtube were very scripted videos probably TP-Link sponsored.

Anyone using these? Would you recommend this over Hikvision?

I am just this close to purchasing their NVR 10008H and couple of Vigi 340 cameras.

Much appreciated, thanks.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Be advised that the 4MP camera specs indicate it has a 1/3" sensor which is too small for good night time performance. It might show still images OK with IR or its white LED but motion will likely be blurred. A 4MP camera should have a sensor no smaller than 1/1.8".

Ideal-sensor-size-to-megapixel.png

CasualUser

n3wb
Reaction score
Be advised that the 4MP camera specs indicate it has a 1/3" sensor which is too small for good night time performance. It might show still images OK with IR or its white LED but motion will likely be blurred. A 4MP camera should have a sensor no smaller than 1/1.8".

View attachment 183718
Thank you so much for letting me know this. As you can tell, I'm as green as grass when it comes to these things. Can you please suggest me a good alternative for night time? Doesn't have to be within the TP-Link ecosystem.

ZSasha

n3wb
Reaction score
t might show still images OK with IR or its white LED but motion will likely be blurred.
I can confirm that. Daylight images are fine but night time images have blurried moving objects. Even when I stood under the camera and the camera used white light (not just IR), my face was very grainy and noisy as hell.
Guess we can't expect much for this price.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, that guy looks pretty suspicious, IMO....:winktongue:

Thanks for the images, they confirm what many have found out, often after an uninformed purchase: a sensor that is under-sized for the amount of pixels it is paired with requires that the shutter be slowed down to provide enough light (visible or IR) to produce a decent image......and when there's motion, that shutter is not fast enough to NOT prevent blur......no motion, not too bad. Speed up that shutter to prevent motion blur then there's not enough light.

And generally paired with that better image size to resolution (megapixels) ratio is a higher cost. The old "you get what you pay for" adage.

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes I have evaluated them. Would not go near them

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Uniview tend to be expensive in Australia.
Especially the 4mp ones with the correct mp sensor ratio (which are also not easy to find).
Their uniarch brand are cheaper but I don't think any of them have the right mp sensor ratio.

If you want a cheaper camera you'll probably need to look at 2mp models.