Any reason not to upgrade to Windows 10?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm currently running Windows 7 Enterprise and I'd like to know if upgrading to Windows 10 would cause any issues with BI v4.x? Thanks

DigitalPackrat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Only reason I can think of is enterprise is a business version and not included in the free upgrade unless you have SA with Microsoft.

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For me Windows 10 has been a very stable and secure Windows platform. I recommend having plenty of memory (8-16GB of memory) as Windows 10 does use more memory than Windows 7 and Windows 8. If you are upgrading to Windows 10, you can avoid many problems by performing a "Clean Install", but make sure you upgrade and activate Windows 10 and then perform a "Clean install".

If you can, I would recommend upgrading to Windows 10 Professional as it has better control over Windows updates. Windows 10 Professional users can defer or block updates, but whereas "Home Premium" users do not have this capability. If you are already running Windows 10 Home Premium, you can purchase the "Windows 10 Pro Pack" for $99 to upgrade to Professional. This is probably the most cost effective method.

When it comes to my PC running Blue Iris, I like having control over the Windows updates, so it doesn't upgrade on its own and cause a potential problem after restarting.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
but make sure you upgrade and activate Windows 10 and then perform a "Clean install".
This is no longer necessary with the newest windows iso availability from Microsoft (media creation tool). It allows you to use your windows 7/8 key to activate 10.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you really hate updates you can disable the Windows Update service to prevent it from running at all. I'm not 100% sure you can do this on home edition but I imagine you can.

This is no longer necessary with the newest windows iso availability from Microsoft (media creation tool). It allows you to use your windows 7/8 key to activate 10.
That is very good to know!

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses. So with Windows 7 Enterprise there's no way to "upgrade" my existing instance of Windows?