Any ideas what causes this sort of ghosting/pixelisation?

Madz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a IPC-B5442E-Z4E which has been working really well, but has started to stutter and ghost/pixellate badly when there's any motion in the scene. The only camera setting I can remember changing was setting up a ROI to try and help with clarity in the area's of interest. I have also added an extra camera off the same network switch. The network to the camera (2 cameras now) runs across a wireless bridge, which isn't ideal, but has been fairly solid in the past with the single camera in place. Has anyone seen this before - is this likely to be a network or camera issue?

I've tried installing the latest Aug 2022 firmware of Andy's off here and switching to CBR. On the main stream I'm running 15 fps at 8192kbps CBR, 2560 x 1440 - iframe every 15.

Just to be clear I'm talking about ghosting and pixellation of the cars - the trees are intentionally

Entrance-04092022-1534533574.jpgEntrance-04092022-1536082787.jpg

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
When I had something similar it was associated with the video drivers for the onboard graphics.

This happened to me quite a while back but Windows update had updated the graphics drivers so since then I’ve disabled device driver updates and now manually updates these drivers.

I had to download a few versions from the manufacturers website, for me HP and then try each in turn over the course of a few days.

Madz

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah in this case the artifacts are in the recorded video itself - have verified on multiple devices (PC, Mac, iOS). I have to double check, I think the problem exists directly viewing the camera stream as it seems jerky - I haven't watched it long enough to see if the ghosting is there, but the time doesn't count up smoothly. I'm thinking it;s either network issues or a problem with the camera, but don't know which.
The ping to the camera is < 10ms when viewing the substream (which seems ok) and jumps to hundreds of ms when viewing the main stream - is that normal or a sign of network being overloaded?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That, to me, is a sign of network overload/congestion. How about a sketch of your network layout, router, switches, VLANs if you're using them, and what's attached to each?

Last edited:

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks network related, disconnect the other two cameras to test.
What speed is the WiFi bridge connecting at?

Madz

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - does sound like it could be a network issue.
My backend is a synology NAS (survelliance station). I have a number of cameras on their own network at the house and 2 cameras located at the property gate (a 8MP and 4MP camera).
They are located about 60m from the house and unfortunately I currently have to use a comfast wifi bridge for part of that - it's a type N network and I think it's running at about 40Mbit/s limited I guess by the signal strength - then a length of ~50m of underground cat6 (gel filled). I have a simple netgear 5 port switch up in the gate with both cameras connected to it and powered separately (no PoE). Both are recording their low res substreams constantly and only step up to full-res streams when motion is detected - that does seem to correllate with when I'm having the issue, although oddly it seems to be only the 4MP camera affected. The 8MP camera's image is smooth and no artefacts.

Tomorrow I will try turning the 8MP camera off and see if the original camera starts working properly again. I'll also do some more network troubleshooting (swap around the cameras connections etc). I'm looking into the logistics of whether I can run a physical cable somehow to avoid the wifi connection - i always expected it might be unreliable, but with just the one camera I was surprised that it seemed to work perfectly and be very reliable for a couple of months.

That's a good link! Thanks for that

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
add another wifi bridge, then run one cam per bridge, on the wire connected from each set of camera to bridge, it should be wired as "crossover" or one connector T-568B an the other end T-568A.

These smaller consumer bridges can not handle multiple cameras' sustained transfer rate.

The best wifi I use for 2-8 cams is a pair of 5AC power beams (PBE-5AC-500-US) and a 8 10/100 to 1GBit switch concentrator (BV-Tech POE-sw811)

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - does sound like it could be a network issue.
My backend is a synology NAS (survelliance station). I have a number of cameras on their own network at the house and 2 cameras located at the property gate (a 8MP and 4MP camera).
They are located about 60m from the house and unfortunately I currently have to use a comfast wifi bridge for part of that - it's a type N network and I think it's running at about 40Mbit/s limited I guess by the signal strength - then a length of ~50m of underground cat6 (gel filled). I have a simple netgear 5 port switch up in the gate with both cameras connected to it and powered separately (no PoE). Both are recording their low res substreams constantly and only step up to full-res streams when motion is detected - that does seem to correllate with when I'm having the issue, although oddly it seems to be only the 4MP camera affected. The 8MP camera's image is smooth and no artefacts.

Tomorrow I will try turning the 8MP camera off and see if the original camera starts working properly again. I'll also do some more network troubleshooting (swap around the cameras connections etc). I'm looking into the logistics of whether I can run a physical cable somehow to avoid the wifi connection - i always expected it might be unreliable, but with just the one camera I was surprised that it seemed to work perfectly and be very reliable for a couple of months.

That's a good link! Thanks for that
I believe the Synology NAS is receiving both the main and sub-stream at all times, it just not doing anything with it until it detects motion. This is to avoid connection delays, which would otherwise result in missing said event.
When a device connects at say 40Mbits/s substantially less will actually be available for use, there are many articles that go into depth and detail about how WiFi works, but basically there is a lot of overheads and speeds vary greatly.

With an N network the latency is going to be a killer, AC should be okay, but 6 would be preferred.