Any experiences with the NVR4216-4K

angelojoanos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also has anyone run a mix of cameras with this NVR or only Dahusa cams?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use the native apps most exclusively, its faster and always open on my computer.. handles all my feeds without slowing down my computer.. multiple videos playing with a browser plugin sucks, no way around that really.

other than that I use the mouse hooked to the NVR and configure it through my living room TV, not all options are exposed in the WebUI on my firmware, nor in SmartPSS on Mac..

it should work with any camera tha'll give you an RSTP stream in a compatible encoding, I have one setup this way and its not even onvif.. no motion or anything other than recording tho with it.

here's a screenshot of my ALPR Dummy camera, I wanted to record Substream #2 @ 720p (main stream is 4MP MJPEG, not saving that shit) but the NVR did not support it.. so I added it as a dummy channel and specified the local address for the substream.. works perfectly, my alpr camera records 24/7 @ 720p instead of D1.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

angelojoanos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use the native apps most exclusively, its faster and always open on my computer.. handles all my feeds without slowing down my computer.. multiple videos playing with a browser plugin sucks, no way around that really.

other than that I use the mouse hooked to the NVR and configure it through my living room TV, not all options are exposed in the WebUI on my firmware, nor in SmartPSS on Mac..

it should work with any camera tha'll give you an RSTP stream in a compatible encoding, I have one setup this way and its not even onvif.. no motion or anything other than recording tho with it.

here's a screenshot of my ALPR Dummy camera, I wanted to record Substream #2 @ 720p (main stream is 4MP MJPEG, not saving that shit) but the NVR did not support it.. so I added it as a dummy channel and specified the local address for the substream.. works perfectly, my alpr camera records 24/7 @ 720p instead of D1.
Im not a big fan of webUI anyhow so that does not bother me. When u say the native app, are you referring to smartpss on ur mac or something else? I also have my current nvr hooked up to my tv so I could allways use the mouse as wellfor the additional features. I have a mixture of cams, Hik, Sunba, Hunisun, And thinking about the dahusa ptz you just reviewd :).

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
by native apps I am implying SmartPSS for Win/OSX, gDMSS for Android, and iDMSS for iOS.. which covers all the common user platforms.. all are capable of live view and simultaneous playback of recordings, they are easier to use on there respective devices than the WebUI IMHO.. less clunky feeling if you get my drift.

this is the kinda thing once you set it up it just goes, if you ever interact with it its to do something a native app is more than capable of performing.

the only feature I think this NVR needed that it didnt have, I already implemented externally so no skin off my balls.. but I really think it should have been capable of switching day/night profile of all cameras based up on an alarm input or sunrise/sunset calculation, so you could really fine tune the profiles for day and night better.. but none of my cameras had this ability so I was not expecting the NVR to have it either.. but if it needs anything, its better profile management and flexibility.. fixed schedules are hardly adequate for almost all environments, the earth has this tilt on its axis and all.

angelojoanos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
by native apps I am implying SmartPSS for Win/OSX, gDMSS for Android, and iDMSS for iOS.. which covers all the common user platforms.. all are capable of live view and simultaneous playback of recordings, they are easier to use on there respective devices than the WebUI IMHO.. less clunky feeling if you get my drift.

this is the kinda thing once you set it up it just goes, if you ever interact with it its to do something a native app is more than capable of performing.

the only feature I think this NVR needed that it didnt have, I already implemented externally so no skin off my balls.. but I really think it should have been capable of switching day/night profile of all cameras based up on an alarm input or sunrise/sunset calculation, so you could really fine tune the profiles for day and night better.. but none of my cameras had this ability so I was not expecting the NVR to have it either.. but if it needs anything, its better profile management and flexibility.. fixed schedules are hardly adequate for almost all environments, the earth has this tilt on its axis and all.
Ok gottcha, I figured that was what you were referring to but had to verify.... Believe I will give it a go....thanks.

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ignore the shipping terms, its the same price to US.. its the total price that matters, and good luck getting one delivered for less than $250.. because from what I saw, $250 was on the lowest end of the spectrum.. you could quickly pay twice that for the same thing.. at least here in the US. Ali Vendors artificially lower price and inflate shipping to get them to show up first when you sort by price, standard marketing voodoo.. just ignore it until Ali pulls its head out of its ass and changes its its sort to price+shipping and people stop doing this crap.

Considering a BI or BlueCherry license with appropriate hardware to handle 8-4k cameras and 8-4mp cameras is going to run you twice that pretty quickly.. I thought it was a great deal and used the money saved to buy a 6TB Purple.. now I have 10TB total and over 3 weeks of 24/7/365 w/7 Cams, so I am happy with the money paid and results obtained.. I've yet to take a vacation longer than 3 weeks, tho I'd like to one day :)
I see. Yeah it can get a bit confusing comparing prices when shipping is way off like that.

angelojoanos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A lil off topic, but what port settings do you use? I downloaded idmss and was trying to connect to my HIK cams to play without success. It may be possible that there not comparable . I noticed the default port is 47777. Have you changed this or just port forward the default. I assume that is also the default for Dahusa cams? If possible maybe a scene shot of the smartpss port setting screen. Thx

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use VPN for remote access, never forward ports.

however, Dahua's native apps will only talk to Dahua Hardware.. the only way the'll display your Hik cameras is with a Dahua NVR in between em.

angelojoanos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use VPN for remote access, never forward ports.

however, Dahua's native apps will only talk to Dahua Hardware.. the only way the'll display your Hik cameras is with a Dahua NVR in between em.
Ok thanks. I just ordered the nvr so hopfully my cams will be compatable. VPN is a lil over my head as i have allways just port forward. Can you please explain the process of using idmss to remotly connect to the nvr to vew the cams. Is port forwarding of the nvr possible or will it require DDns or a domain setup. Im guessing ur using ur NAS for VPN?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
VPN is often easier to setup than Port forwarding, its likely already built into your router, computers and phones.. you just needa set it up.

I will not answer questions on port forwarding, dont ask me.. I do not endorse it in any way/shape/form.. what you have always been doing is wrong, now you know.. if you continue its no longer ignorance, its stupidity.. please, if you can DIY a decent Security Camera setup then setting up a VPN is a walk in the park.. change the attitude, nothing is over your head.. mankind walked on the moon and your going to let a 3 letter acronym get in your way?

if the CEO of <enter the stupidest company you can think of here> can use VPN, you can too.. trained monkeys use it every day by the millions in corporate america.

angelojoanos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
VPN is often easier to setup than Port forwarding, its likely already built into your router, computers and phones.. you just needa set it up.

I will not answer questions on port forwarding, dont ask me.. I do not endorse it in any way/shape/form.. what you have always been doing is wrong, now you know.. if you continue its no longer ignorance, its stupidity.. please, if you can DIY a decent Security Camera setup then setting up a VPN is a walk in the park.. change the attitude, nothing is over your head.. mankind walked on the moon and your going to let a 3 letter acronym get in your way?

if the CEO of <enter the stupidest company you can think of here> can use VPN, you can too.. trained monkeys use it every day by the millions in corporate america.
LOL! Love it.. I have no problem setting up a more secure VPN. Wll have to look and see if that option is available in my dated netgear router. If not, im sure all my bandwith eating devices would not mind a new companion!!

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
The nice thing about The SmartPss is that in fact you can set it and forget it. I have Commercial buildings with a few PC's running this app for the management to view the cameras, I like the fact once I set the view and set it to auto start, the end user user has to do one click to get past the windows UAC and BAM the system is up and running with NO phone call to me to come back and set it back up for them. In my world its all about the ease for the end user. Sure I get a call once in a blue moon to save a video for them when MR LAW needs a video or a Pissed off employee dumps his used cat litter in the back of somebody's pickup truck(TRUE). Lets face it, ease is everything to me and the end user and this "NATIVE" software is MUCH better than having the end user on the phone with me walking them through the DVR in the server rack with a crappy cell phone connection.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The nice thing about The SmartPss is that in fact you can set it and forget it. I have Commercial buildings with a few PC's running this app for the management to view the cameras, I like the fact once I set the view and set it to auto start, the end user user has to do one click to get past the windows UAC and BAM the system is up and running with NO phone call to me to come back and set it back up for them. In my world its all about the ease for the end user. Sure I get a call once in a blue moon to save a video for them when MR LAW needs a video or a Pissed off employee dumps his used cat litter in the back of somebody's pickup truck(TRUE). Lets face it, ease is everything to me and the end user and this "NATIVE" software is MUCH better than having the end user on the phone with me walking them through the DVR in the server rack with a crappy cell phone connection.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11949-elevated-program-shortcut-without-uac-prompt-create.html
That will eliminate the uac issue.. A vns needs to be able to restart without user interaction..

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman,
I guess I have should have made myself more clear. I have to work with system admins who get all freaked about ANYBODY messing in THEIR world. That being said, I have to follow their rules for the most part and most insist on NOT letting the UAC down for anything so that is why I made that comment. Yes I was doing IT work before most of them were out of diapers but its their system so I just stroke a few EGOs collect my paycheck and move on. Very good info and refresher for myself and the group.
Thanks you sir ;)

kasperskie

n3wb
Reaction score
I got the DH-NVR5216-4KS2 and am really happy with it.

The only gripe is that Dropbox/SkyDrive and FTP options do not seem to work (firmware 3.210.0002.0, Build Date: 2015-11-27). For now I am focussing on getting FTP to work. I have setup an FTP server using vsftpd on an openwrt router and this works fine when configuring FTP directly on the Dahua cameras i have. However, when I configure FTP on the NVR it does not want to upload anything. With the test button I can see that it successfully connects to the FTP server but thats it. I've fiddled around with scheduling, auto/manual recording, not recording to harddisk etc but to no avail. I also tried Filezilla Server on a windows laptop but I get the same result (FTP test button shows a connection but no further uploads)

Has anyone else got FTP to work and if so could you list the settings/steps involved on the NVR ?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can only save with 1 method, it the same way on your dahua cameras.. if you save video to local SD card, you cant FTP anymore.. soo, extending that logic to the NVR, if you save the video to local HDD you cant FTP anymore.

kasperskie

n3wb
Reaction score
I spend some more time investigating the FTP option today. Got it to work with a motion detect channel now which records both to HDD and FTP. The NVR FTP option does not immediately cause new clips to be uploaded. Instead they are transferred in the background it seems roughly with a 2 minute delay.