Any experience with scheduling a system image backup in Windows 10?

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I installed a small SSD (120GB) 4 days ago on my BI server for the OS and NEW folder. Today I checked Samsung Magician and my SMART Wear Leveling Count is at 93, down 6 points from when the drive was new. It has since written 1.4TB of data. So, at this rate, my drive is expected to fail anytime after about 3 months. Samsung warrants the drive for 3 years or 35TB of data, whichever comes first. So it won't do me any good.

Now I know my drive will probably last longer than that, but after the 3 months mark I want to start backing it up so I don't have to re-install everything in case it fails. I did some research and you can create "System Image" with Windows 10.

My question is, say if I schedule a System Image backup of my C: drive once a week, and in case my SSD fails, will I be able to just restore the System image to another drive, and be up and running in no time? I know I will lose all the new clips but it's not a big deal. Has anyone had any experience with System Image backup and know whether you can schedule it to run on a periodic basis?

molimelight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've used Macrium Reflect Free for some time now with great results on SSDs on a Windows 7 and Windows 10 machine. It's amazing what software is out there for free! I've been able to switch to the imaged SSD in bios and boot up without a hitch. I use One Drive for my clips and just delete unwanted clips daily from BI to keep below the free limit on One Drive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I installed a small SSD (120GB) 4 days ago on my BI server for the OS and NEW folder. Today I checked Samsung Magician and my SMART Wear Leveling Count is at 93, down 6 points from when the drive was new. It has since written 1.4TB of data.
Spend some money, get a much bigger drive. Don't use it at more than 50% capacity. Doing so decreases life and slows it down because it forces a lot more wear leveling. A 512MB maybe. Those are what, $100-150? Put the stuff with a lot of small files (OS, programs, database, alert snapshots, etc.) on it. Put the New folder on the same drive as you're Store folder. You're not getting a lot of benefit from an SSD with large files. Keep all the large files on one, or more more, hard drives.