ANPR NVR Confusion

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm looking for an NVR that will be paired with a IPC-LPR437B-IR camera. As I understand it, with an sd bard, the camera has the ai built in to capture and read plates and store those plates in a database.

The NVR8CH-8P-2AI says it can create a data base with up to 20,000 plate numbers maintain a blocklist and allowlist. Is the AI in the NVR repeating the OCR abilities of the camera or is the NVR just storing data from the camera? I'm trying to figure out the need for the AI NVR over something like the NVR5208-4KS2.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have the 5216-4ks2e, and the 437 works fine with it. I've never created/used the block and allow list, so not much help on that one.
I don't have a SD card in it.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have the 5216-4ks2e, and the 437 works fine with it. I've never created/used the block and allow list, so not much help on that one.
I don't have a SD card in it.
Are you able to maintain a database of plate numbers?

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The camera itself does OCR and then data gets stored to the NVR.
The database only shows your set allow/block list.
1699661302769.png

I do not have an ANPR camera... although my NVR does video metadata collection and that snaps a licence plate (although the camera is very poorly positioned for that purpose).
This is how I find/query a vehicle.

To search the licence plates, go into AI search and motor vehicle detection.
1699661415914.png
1699661431221.png

Without plate # to search, it will search anything.
Like I said, my camera is not setup for ANPR. I use the video metadata feature to search vehicles by color and when a vehicle was seen.
If I had an ANPR camera it would show the snapshot of the front of the vehicle and then a lower image with just the licence plate.

1699661573389.png

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So an anpr camera will recognize a plate and put the plate number in the metadata it sends to the nvr. The nvr has a search function that allow you to search the metadata for criteria, like color and plate and stuff.

In your case, your nvr tries to isolate the plate but doesn't read it because it doesn't do ocr? How were you able to search for a plate if that's the case?

I mentioned 2 nvr's in the original post, one with ai and one without ai. The ai nvr specs list this:
Motor Vehicle Attributes - License plate, plate color, vehicle body, vehicle model, vehicle logo, calling, seatbelt, vehicle interior, vehicle registration location
The non ai nvr lists this:
Vehicle - Plate No.; type; color; vehicle type; logo; plate color; ornament; calling; seatbelt; region

Let's say all I care about is the plate number and the vehicle color. It seems as long as the camera is putting that info in the metadata, either nvr will perform about the same because they both have the ability to provide search results. In this use case, the ai in the nvr doesn't help or hurt. Am I understanding that right?

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you able to maintain a database of plate numbers?
I THINK so? I've never tried that option, but the ability is there on the camera itself.
One caution, if you're going to rely on plate number etc, the closer the camera is to the vehicles the better. With these new plates, plate covers, sprays, etc.. effects the ability to read the plate.
If you're close, and in color 24/7, that would help A LOT.