Another day, another drug deal.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Consenting adults, transacting in material and services that affect no one else, to be consumed free willingly. Tell me again why we need .gov to tell us such activity is illegal? Note: nearly all of the negative issues with the illicit drug industry (crime, violence, etc) are a direct result of the "War on Drugs", and not the drugs themselves. How many trillions spent, how many lives ruined, how many violent drug cartels, and how many extinguished liberties must we endure in this multi-generational failure of drug-prohibition? At least between 1918 and 1931 the government LEARNED that banning something that humans crave will have far worse consequences than the vice itself. Shameful.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Consenting adults, transacting in material and services that affect no one else, to be consumed free willingly. Tell me again why we need .gov to tell us such activity is illegal? Note: nearly all of the negative issues with the illicit drug industry (crime, violence, etc) are a direct result of the "War on Drugs", and not the drugs themselves. How many trillions spent, how many lives ruined, how many violent drug cartels, and how many extinguished liberties must we endure in this multi-generational failure of drug-prohibition? At least between 1918 and 1931 the government LEARNED that banning something that humans crave will have far worse consequences than the vice itself. Shameful.
stop making sense.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Note: nearly all of the negative issues with the illicit drug industry (crime, violence, etc) are a direct result of the "War on Drugs", and not the drugs themselves.

Have to disagree with ya there. Unless legalization makes it FREE, the drug related crime aint going away.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well sure. Even pharmacies are robbed to obtain Oxy or other controlled substances. But that level of crime is minuscule compared to the vast back-and-forth crime & punishment between the DEA (and all other LEO) vs. gangs and cartels. You don't see cartels manufacturing and distributing big-pharma drugs. Legalization means clean, secure, and reliable channels to obtain drugs which now can only be obtained by funding black market suppliers (and all the crime that goes with it). It won't solve all the problems, but I'll go out on a limb and say 90% of the violence and crime will go away. Never mind the reduced enforcement costs, judicial backlog, and incarceration rates. It's a win-win, but we've been too brainwashed to accept what is staring us in the face. For the record, I do not consume (or have any interest to consume) any illicit drugs. My perspective is one of logic... not emotion.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
For sake of argument, and leaving aside the current no-win disagreement/experiment on pot, what other drugs exactly do you want legalized and why do you think the cartels and dealers will just lay down and say, "geez it's legal now, I guess we'll just quit and get day jobs"? Coke? Meth? Heroin? Oxy?

Will it be like booze, 21 years old and you can walk into the local Happy Store and buy it? Or will there be any restrictions/medical requirements?

The punk meth heads that broke into my house, or assaulted the old lady two streets over last week won't differentiate whether it's legal or not, they have no money or jobs (primarily because of being addicted) and will continue to break into homes, rob (their own mother if need be), and yes assault and kill to get the money they need to buy it.

It's fantasy to think even a fraction of drug related crime will go away, 90% is delusional.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
For sake of argument, and leaving aside the current no-win disagreement/experiment on pot, what other drugs exactly do you want legalized and why do you think the cartels and dealers will just lay down and say, "geez it's legal now, I guess we'll just quit and get day jobs"? Coke? Meth? Heroin? Oxy?

Will it be like booze, 21 years old and you can walk into the local Happy Store and buy it? Or will there be any restrictions/medical requirements?

The punk meth heads that broke into my house, or assaulted the old lady two streets over last week won't differentiate whether it's legal or not, they have no money or jobs (primarily because of being addicted) and will continue to break into homes, rob (their own mother if need be), and yes assault and kill to get the money they need to buy it.

It's fantasy to think even a fraction of drug related crime will go away, 90% is delusional.
it'd funny that you think scum like that only commit crimes because of drugs, I got news for ya, if drugs didn't exist those scumbags would just break into houses and rob people for money.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What does the US spend via the DEA and the various drug tasks forces domestically? Keep in mind that DEA has agents all over the globe, intercepting shipments and destroying fields. How much is spent incarcerating non-violent Americans who simply got caught with a banned plant?

For a comparison of crime before and after legalization of a banned product, one has to look no further than the prohibition period. Once alcohol could be produced legally, and was available without fear of government persecution (or organized crime competition/turf wars) crime dropped markedly. Granted, the consequence of the prohibition (the mafia and other organized crime syndicates) lingered on, but those were consequences of the ban, not the alcohol.

Despite alcohol being available to any 21 year old from the local Happy Store, the consequences of consumption (DUI deaths, alcohol-induced fights, theft, etc) pale in comparison to the crimes that occurred while it was banned.

Let's assume that all drugs are treated like alcohol and/or cigarettes. That is, anyone who is of age, can go into a convenience store and purchase whatever drug they want. Rather than having a meth-head pay a premium to a dealer (or cook it themselves), risking arrest, getting robbed/shot, there's a viable, safe way to get a fix. That alone will help curb many of the petty crime incidents that fund the higher street price. How many alcohol-heads are breaking into houses or assaulting old ladies to get their booze? I would proffer that if illicit drugs were as easily available as alcohol, you'd have the same reduction in crime.

It's not a panacea. There would likely be an increase in people who become addicted to these things - but with the money saved from ending the war on drugs, we could address those issues in a far more humane way than we currently do.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
it'd funny that you think scum like that only commit crimes because of drugs, I got news for ya, if drugs didn't exist those scumbags would just break into houses and rob people for money.
Where did you read that? Clearly there are all types of scumbag criminals, I was in no way associating all crime with drugs. I know a bit about crime.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
What does the US spend via the DEA and the various drug tasks forces domestically? Keep in mind that DEA has agents all over the globe, intercepting shipments and destroying fields. How much is spent incarcerating non-violent Americans who simply got caught with a banned plant?

For a comparison of crime before and after legalization of a banned product, one has to look no further than the prohibition period. Once alcohol could be produced legally, and was available without fear of government persecution (or organized crime competition/turf wars) crime dropped markedly. Granted, the consequence of the prohibition (the mafia and other organized crime syndicates) lingered on, but those were consequences of the ban, not the alcohol.

Despite alcohol being available to any 21 year old from the local Happy Store, the consequences of consumption (DUI deaths, alcohol-induced fights, theft, etc) pale in comparison to the crimes that occurred while it was banned.

Let's assume that all drugs are treated like alcohol and/or cigarettes. That is, anyone who is of age, can go into a convenience store and purchase whatever drug they want. Rather than having a meth-head pay a premium to a dealer (or cook it themselves), risking arrest, getting robbed/shot, there's a viable, safe way to get a fix. That alone will help curb many of the petty crime incidents that fund the higher street price. How many alcohol-heads are breaking into houses or assaulting old ladies to get their booze? I would proffer that if illicit drugs were as easily available as alcohol, you'd have the same reduction in crime.

It's not a panacea. There would likely be an increase in people who become addicted to these things - but with the money saved from ending the war on drugs, we could address those issues in a far more humane way than we currently do.
Or let them overdose and die, which they will do anyways, so who gives a shit. I love how people act like illegal stuff isn't totally arbitrary, booz is the perfect example, it's only evil if people deem it to be, booze are legal therefore people act like they are no big deal. Guess what, growing up with an alcoholic is hell on earth, I know from experience, and alcoholics can live decades and cause misery to everyone around them. I'd rather they die in 6 months like a meth head. I think some people love their booze too much and just get all defensive when you try to compare it to something else. Let me tell you, I've never seen someone act like an angry drunk while high on weed, and a lot of stuff like heroine leaves the user laying on the floor, drunks on the other hand assault people, rape, kill people in car accidents, abuse people. Anyone who thinks making drugs illegal is better than making them legal is living in la-la land. Bad people will be bad no matter what, if it's not booze it will be crack, or something else, or maybe they will just go around beating and killing people.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No LPN identification, no point in even capturing the video.
Plate recognition is not the be all and end all. Not to mention stolen cars/plates make lpr useless in some instances.
The cops know these folks. Trust me, this is not their first rodeo...the HOA has no interest in their arrest but rather that they be told not to return again...that video can accomplish that.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No LPN identification, no point in even capturing the video.
That's an asinine statement. Aside from the driver, you can clearly see and identify both passengers and the suspected buyer. Had this been a serious crime such a murder, the video alone would be more than enough evidence to convict.

As a side note, to get LPR at night you need a dedicated camera that is completely useless for anything other than LPR.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I've always wanted to hook a macro to a keystroke that'd switch a PTZ to say 1/1000 exposure so a fellow could quickly and easy snag a plate while watching something go down live at night and toggle it back to auto when done. Project for when I put a PTZ on my house again...

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've always wanted to hook a macro to a keystroke that'd switch a PTZ to say 1/1000 exposure so a fellow could quickly and easy snag a plate while watching something go down live at night and toggle it back to auto when done. Project for when I put a PTZ on my house again...
When I saw what was going down I tried to login to the PTZ and change the exposure to capture the plate but they drove off too quickly. A script or macro would be ideal for this situation though.