Another day, another boat crashing into my dock... sigh

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Just yet another big divit from the far post.

As I told Mrs Bigredfish, I cant prove damage when these happen, unless they bring the whole thing down. Its the damage over time under the waterline that is gonna rear its head someday long after they've gone....

I have power down there, I need a reliable motion type sensor that I can connect to a relay of some sort for loud 120+db Horn or siren.... but only if the dock moves...

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Last time it was the much smaller yellow boat that bump into the dock and only the flower pot was shaking a little. This time the much bigger size boat might've actually did damage to the foundation under water as the whole dock was moved when it was hit by the boat.:wow:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Like the one a few years back?
It happens a lot, I just dont notice. Will have to start reviewing doc footage and posting to FB each week.

View attachment TourboatCrash.mp4

I posted to local FB groups, including the ones the offending Tour Boat operators use to get customers. Comments rolling in. \ :lmao: Remember this is a semi popular tourist destination. It WILL get some attention

I told the one guy who said I shouldnt be posting that I was just getting started. It happens weekly and Im done. The Tour boats are the problem and everyone knows it.

Just sent the video and comments to FWC who has jurisdiction i think. I asked them if they were the agency responsible for boating safety on the canals...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
LOL
I think posting on the 3 most popular FB pages that are focused on the Lakes and localchit chat (over 100K followers) got someone’s attention.
Haven’t seen a single tour boat in 4 hours in a picture postcard 80 degree day :lmao:

Hit them where it hurts. In the wallet

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I need a reliable motion type sensor that I can connect to a relay of some sort for loud 120+db Horn or siren.... but only if the dock moves...
I wonder if you could go out there in a boat or kayak and trim back some of the tree/brush on the other side of the river/canal that makes this turn so tight. Could you put some brightly color buoys in the water 2-3 feet from your dock?

If you can program, you could use an accelerometer to classify impacts to the dock and trigger different actions. It might be more effective to try to sense if they're likely to hit the bridge and trigger flashing light or some sounds before they do, you'd likely have to use ultrasonic sensors, or radar/lidar to do this accurately.

My inner 10 year old wants to dispense fart spray when they hit the dock.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The thing is its theoretically a no wake zone and theres plenty of room for two large pontoons to pass each other. Its like 25-30ft wide.

The big tour boats just dont pay attention, the little gator snack tour boats have no clue, and the "private" tours like the asshole in the pontoon are just out to make a quick buck from the tourists. $35 per person

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are these people drunk? It doesn't seem like they should be piloting a boat.
Looks to me that the young woman with the ponytail in the outboard-powered boat set things in motion by skidding early toward the pontoon boat causing the elderly skipper to try and avoid her; plus, he should have been going a LOT slower through that turn when he saw all the traffic.