another CPU useage problem

micm66

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I've poured over this site, and followed all on the advice that I have found so far, but have to admit i am at my wits end. I have followed all the advice in this thread, except for the hardware acceleration as it stuffed up the recordings (purple artifacts all through the recording)
Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk but am still having the same high 90% + cpu useage
my setup is an intel I7 3770 @3.4ghz , 8 gig of ram windows 8.1 pro 64 bit , using paid version of blue iris 4.5.8.6
I have 5 x Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I currenty running at 1280 x 720p 15 fps VBR and 4096kbs max
i also have 4 x Vstarcam c7824 720p cameras running at 640 x 320 15 fps

At the above settings, the cpu sits between 15 - 35 % with the odd cpu jump to 80-95% but as soon as I up the hikvisions to 1080p the cpu use jumps to 80-98% making it virtually unusable.

I am starting to think the cpu just cant cope, but everything that I have read says it should be fine. Have i got a setting wrong somewhere that could be causing this? I can post screen shots of any setting you think may help to get to the bottom of this, But at this point my question is can the cpu cope with that amount of cameras at the higher 1080p settings?

have done all the usual changes :- bvr recording direct to disc, 15fps, dropped live view frame rate to 8fps, tried running just as a console, not logging in remotely. settings all changed at the cameras,
(only thing not done is the intel hardware acceleration due to issue above, so not sure if the CPU supports it)
Any advice appreciated, Thanks, Mick

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I've poured over this site, and followed all on the advice that I have found so far, but have to admit i am at my wits end. I have followed all the advice in this thread, except for the hardware acceleration as it stuffed up the recordings (purple artifacts all through the recording)
Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk but am still having the same high 90% + cpu useage
my setup is an intel I7 3770 @3.4ghz , 8 gig of ram windows 8.1 pro 64 bit , using paid version of blue iris 4.5.8.6
I have 5 x Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I currenty running at 1280 x 720p 15 fps VBR and 4096kbs max
i also have 4 x Vstarcam c7824 720p cameras running at 640 x 320 15 fps

At the above settings, the cpu sits between 15 - 35 % with the odd cpu jump to 80-95% but as soon as I up the hikvisions to 1080p the cpu use jumps to 80-98% making it virtually unusable.

I am starting to think the cpu just cant cope, but everything that I have read says it should be fine. Have i got a setting wrong somewhere that could be causing this? I can post screen shots of any setting you think may help to get to the bottom of this, But at this point my question is can the cpu cope with that amount of cameras at the higher 1080p settings?

have done all the usual changes :- bvr recording direct to disc, 15fps, dropped live view frame rate to 8fps, tried running just as a console, not logging in remotely. settings all changed at the cameras,
(only thing not done is the intel hardware acceleration due to issue above, so not sure if the CPU supports it)
Any advice appreciated, Thanks, Mick
Your cpu can easily handle this load even without ha...
make sure you have the latest intel hd driver and try HA again...this will help significantly...
post your camera video settings and blue iris video config setting for each camera..

micm66

n3wb
Reaction score
This is what i mean by artifacts, I just tried the hardware acceleration again, with 1 camera at 2048 x 1536. It looks fine when live viewing, but when i look at playback, the attached pic is what I get recorded. drivers are up to date for the graphics

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is what i mean by artifacts, I just tried the hardware acceleration again, with 1 camera at 2048 x 1536. It looks fine when live viewing, but when i look at playback, the attached pic is what I get recorded. drivers are up to date for the graphics
make sure cam is set to h.264 not +.....post settings

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
as you can see, all hikvision cam settings are the same, not much point in posting them all.
is the blurring happening on the hikvisions or vstar?
match the iframe interval in the camera settings...
post the record tab...

micm66

n3wb
Reaction score
last pic i can think to upload is of it at 100% cpu, no alerts happening and nothing much in the way of data being up/downloaded, just becomes unusable.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
last pic i can think to upload is of it at 100% cpu, no alerts happening and nothing much in the way of data being up/downloaded, just becomes unusable.
try unchecking also bvr in the video tab of bi for each cam...then turn on HA, restart, and see if the recordings are blurred...
did you exclude blue iris program and storage folders from anti-virus?
you also have an over allocation error..you need to reduce your folder sizes...is your hard drive completely full?

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those wierd purple colors , I have/had them as well.
I was on about 30-40% cpu all fine , no issues. Added 7 more Cameras , CPU went above 80%. Now when I get those wierd colors when CPU goes above 90% when motion is trigered for example.

Disabled some cameras , cpu below 40% all is fine.
For me it is time to buy a new system I think.
Cor

micm66

n3wb
Reaction score
unchecked bvr in video tab of each camera
folders were excluded from antivirus
not sure what you mean by over alloaction error, all looks okay as per screenshot

Attachments

micm66

n3wb
Reaction score
screenshot after renabling HA , rebooting, have also put in task manager, still at over 95%
****after 15 minutes have started getting screen blur again in the live view window so have disabled HA again***

at this stage, i think I will have to drop camera resolution back to 720, at least its usable then.

Attachments

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Iframes setting @fenderman is talking about is in the setup of each camera. Your screenshot shows settings of 15FPS, and Iframe interval is set to 50.
He's wanting you to set the Iframe interval to 15, same as the frame rate.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
screenshot after renabling HA , rebooting, have also put in task manager, still at over 95%
****after 15 minutes have started getting screen blur again in the live view window so have disabled HA again***

at this stage, i think I will have to drop camera resolution back to 720, at least its usable then.
The overalocation is shown near the cpu consumption in red...it should be gray...
Your issue is likely related to all the crap you have inslatlled on your system..you also dont likely have the latest intel driver despite thinking you do, if you are using an oem install from dell/hp etc, it will tell you that you have the latest when you dont...search on how to install the latest intel drivers..
Do a clean windows install using the microsoft media creation tool...while you are at it, move to w10..

micm66

n3wb
Reaction score
The Iframes setting @fenderman is talking about is in the setup of each camera. Your screenshot shows settings of 15FPS, and Iframe interval is set to 50.
He's wanting you to set the Iframe interval to 15, same as the frame rate.
Thnks for clarifying, but yes worked that out, although I think it may make it worse,and fenderman was spot with the graphics driver not being fully up to date (updated now) but still seem to have problems. Just noticed the the drive I am using is showing a 100% activity when having issues so may be a read/write problem with that drive, although it tests okay.

Thanks all for attempting to help.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I occasionally get the same colored blurring with my hikvision cams when hardware acceleration is enabled. Maybe it is associated with a CPU usage spike? Anyway it only affects my live view and motion detection. Recordings always end up fine.

Your CPU usage should be under 30% with that load, so I second fenderman's suggestion of installing fresh windows 10. You may need to "upgrade" to win10 first to get licensed, then fresh install from disk afterward. If you have a valid win7 or 8 key though you can enter that for win10 and it should work fine and no need to do an upgrade install -- you could just start with the fresh install.

REMEMBER TO DEACTIVATE BLUE IRIS FIRST

micm66

n3wb
Reaction score
I have too many other programs on the pc to just upgrade windows, some may not work.
Managed to get it working at around 20% cpu with spikes, main thing was moving a torrent storage folder to a differnt drive, which i think was causing a constant read/write problem, will now up the resolution to 1080p 1 cam at a time. Still cant use HA, just creates blur and its in some of the recordings, not just live.
If I were to get a dedicated pc just for BI, what would be my best bang for buck option to run the 9 cameras I have? (With some headroom for a couple more cameras)

whats with the "remember to deactivate blue iris first "warning?

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris has a deactivate button in its options, which un-licenses it so you can enter your key again on a new PC (or a new OS) without having to contact the developer to get your key reset.