Another choppy video thread

Reaction score
After quite some searching, reading a lot of recent threads, and tweaking various settings, I need to ask for a bit of help with choppy video recordings.

Having been through one trouble shooter (Troubleshooting Streaming Problems) and optimising my BI install (Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage), I remain with alert-triggered recording having multiple lags and skips of 5- 10 seconds, which is obviously not ideal since I'll miss the perp!

I've think I've proven it's a recording issue, rather than a streaming one, by exporting a recording with a glitch in it, then playing it back on another machine, and the time skips occur in the same place - again, losing around 5-10 seconds of video in the main stream recording. It seems to be an issue with how my triggers are set up, and may be something to do with the camera's own motion sensor and alarm, which I'm using to send an audio alert directly in the camera itself. There should be plenty of network bandwidth - I've got nothing else running on the 150w switch, and nothing that should tax any of the other network gear / router. It's only a single 4MP camera too (the Hikvision as below).

My aim is the typical 24/7 recording, with alerts triggered from motion events (people, cars).

Specs:
CPU i7-6700
16GB RAM
Built-in GPU
WD Purple, 2TB recording drive, 256GB SSD OS and BI drive
Fresh Win 10, dedicated to BI only

Network:
OPNSense router, no VLANs, on core i5-3470T
Main switch UniFi 24-port Gen 2 PoE. Camera connects to UniFi SW-150 PoE switch.
Cat6A throughout

Hikvision Configuration Settings:
1 x Hikvision DS-2CD2347G2-SL/LSU
Main stream: 2688x1520 @ CBR 4096, 15fps, H265, I-frame interval 15
Sub stream: 640x480 @ CBR 1024, 15fps, H265, I-frame Interval 15
Camera's in-built Basic Event Motion detection "on" for people, with linkage to in-built flashing alarm (LED) and audible warning

BI Camera Settings for Hikvision:
General: Main stream 4.1MP, ~15.5fps/1.00fps, ~480kB/s ; Sub stream 0.3MP, ~15.4fps/1.00fps, ~115kB/s
Video: Max rate 17fps (it autosets from 15), Limit decoding ticked, display overlay off, Hardware decode Intel + VPP, Also BVR ticked, GPU 0
Network IP camera configuration: Generic/ONVIF (autodetected), receive buffer 20.0MB, get ONVIF trigger events ticked, Decoder compatibility ticked
Trigger: Motion sensor ticked > Configure: Min object size 250, min contrast 25, min duration 0.5, everything else unticked. End trigger 10.0 sec
Record: Video - continuous + alerts ; pre-trigger buffer 5.0 sec ; format & compression: Blue Iris DVR + FLAC, Direct-to-Disc
Alerts: Fire when "this camera is triggered" - all sources and zones ticked
On Alert & Reset: send MQTT topic (for my HA integration)

BI Settings:
Version 5.4.9.18 x64 (just downgraded from 5.5.43 x64 to see if it helps)
Webserver: Advanced>Configure>Encoding: 50% quality, Hardware Encoding Intel QSV, Max keyframe interval 300, 'superfast'
Cameras: Intel + VPP encoding, Limit live preview to 15fps
AI: Deepstack server (with Dark.pt enabled)

Happy to provide any more info needed (and could do screenshots if needed). Hope to get this sorted before my second Hik arrives next month :)

EDIT: Downgrade versions didn't help, but changing to H264 streams did (see below).

Last edited:

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try changing to 264 for main and sub streams. Turn off hard ware acceleration. I have the same CPU configuration - i7-6700/16GB/SSD/WD Purple running 14 cameras, rarely do i have any real skipping. I do see some lag when watching recordings through BI.