Another BREAK time question

kirbymurphy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tried the suggestions I found during a search, but I still can find the problem.

All was OK but now BI won't record any video after a Trigger. It triggers fine (I think) but only leaves a small (5k, 0 duration) wmv file in BlueIris/New folder. I set a full 10 seconds listed in the Break Time. I tried 20 seconds with no help. I increased sensitivity, no change. I suppose I fouled up something but I'm lost. Here's a screen cap that might help. Thanks!

BTW, it does generate a thumbnail image for the clip in the right hand column.

BlueIris.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What version of BI are you on? It looks to be behind a number of updates with the screen image you have provided. Also, post a capture of your record tab for us to look at.

kirbymurphy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
BlueIrisRecord.jpg
Ver 4.0.3.1.64 bit Tried to update but the msi package won't extract past a certain point
To try and reset everything I deleted the Camera subkey in the Registry and reconfigured the video tab. No change :(

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, what file format are you set to record in? Goto Camera Properties > Record > File Format and Compression

kirbymurphy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, what file format are you set to record in? Goto Camera Properties > Record > File Format and Compression
Just coming back to post that. I have been recording wmv and it has been working just fine for 3 weeks. I never changed it but I did discover it will record OK in the bvr format. Tried avi and it made a file but vlc couldn't open it. CODEC problem maybe??? I'm guessing time for a reinstall unless you have an idea.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is highly encouraged around here to use the BVR format with Direct to Disc. This gives the best performance and can be later exported in another format if ever the need may arise. And yes, I would be you have a CODEC problem. You can always try the K-Lite codec if you want to see if this resolves your problem.

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

kirbymurphy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Installing the codec pack didn't help, I guess something ruptured in the program files. I did a reinstall and all is well. WMV files are fine and take up a lot less space while looking pretty good.
Thanks for the help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Installing the codec pack didn't help, I guess something ruptured in the program files. I did a reinstall and all is well. WMV files are fine and take up a lot less space while looking pretty good.
Thanks for the help!
BVR is most cpu efficient and allows you to view video before the file is closed (say you want to view an alert before the trigger has ended or if you use combine and cut, before the allotted time/size is met)..
Most importantly, wmv cannot be used with direct to disk (you can select it but its not working)...You are wasting TONS of cpu. The file size is only smaller because you set a lower bitrate for the re encoding. The same thing could be accomplished by simply lowering the bitrate in the camera. Basically, wmv should never be used.

kirbymurphy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How is bvr most efficient? It creates files MANY, MANY times larger than wmv and is only marginally better. Don't you lose functionality when recording direct-to-disk? Like no overlay and no rotate?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When talking about efficiency in file formats for BI it is the CPU that is being referenced. Since BVR is a file format made for BI it is the most CPU efficient of the file formats to record too. You do lose the overlays but when exporting the clips it is possible to integrate them back in (if I understand it correctly). As for file size, I can't address that since I have not personally done a direct comparison of the two formats. I figure disk space is cheap these days so don't care how large the file is really unless it become a monster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How is bvr most efficient? It creates files MANY, MANY times larger than wmv and is only marginally better. Don't you lose functionality when recording direct-to-disk? Like no overlay and no rotate?
As rupp explained is more efficient cpu wise. Its the most efficient compared to other formats like mp4 - even when using direct to disk. In your case its WAY more efficient because when using wmv you are NOT using direct do disk, the difference is dramatic with high res cameras. Less so with cheap vga cams. You dont need blue iris overlay, just use the cameras, you can also rotate in most cameras interface, that is how every other NVR works.
Most importantly, wmv DOES NOT record more efficiently with respect to file size. The file size is smaller simply because you set BI to re-encode the cameras h.264 stream at a lower bitrate in wmv format. You can adjust the bitrate in blue iris for the wmv file. My point is if you are worried about file size you can simply reduce the bitrate in the camera and the file size will be EXACTLY the same using bvr as wmv. Its really silly to use wmv format, its making your pc work and reencode for no reason, unless you are using low res cameras /mjpeg cameras.

kirbymurphy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The end result with the wmv file is that it is far smaller. I don't notice any encoding or speed problems and the quality of the video is fine. I live on a cul-de-sac and accumulate many files in a day. If I used bvr I would have Gigabytes of data. I prefer BI over the camera's web interfaces because it is faster and more convenient.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The end result with the wmv file is that it is far smaller. I don't notice any encoding or speed problems and the quality of the video is fine. I live on a cul-de-sac and accumulate many files in a day. If I used bvr I would have Gigabytes of data. I prefer BI over the camera's web interfaces because it is faster and more convenient.
WMV does not produce smaller file sizes than BVR. When you select wmv in blue iris a window pops up asking for settings. One of those settings is the bitrate. Understand that bitrate ALONE controls file size. NOTHING else matters, like fps or resolution. You would get the EXACT same file size if you changed the bitrate in the camera itself. If you camera does not have a bitrate control (some low end cameras dont) then you can set this in the rate control option, in the reencode>configure button. This will allow you to use BVR but still reencode. Bottom line is wmv has nothing to do with the file size.
If you are not noticing any cpu issues then its because you are using a low res camera, you would not be able to do this with multiple high resolution cameras without choking the pc.
Not sure what the camera interface has to do with this. You would only log in once and make the change.