Another bird house thread

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was in need of a close up front door cam, mounted low for facial recognition. I had a spare Dahua 5231RP-Z turret lying around and bought an Amazon cedar bird house. The bird hole opening was the exact size of the camera lens, so I just had to drill our the IR LED holes and a small mic hole. I mounted it upside down, so the IR LEDs were on top. I hogged out the back side of the front panel with a router, so the camera would hold with a compression fit w/o glue. I will see how that goes as the temperatures swing. This is a temporary sitting position on the rock and will make a wooden post mount and position it for the best view. Will probably stain it the same color of house to blend in better. I have to be careful because I have another cam looking at the front door and do not want IR staring at each other at night. I was actually quite happy how this Amazon bird house fit the cam well. Now I might have to buy another bird house for the birds.

PXL_20210402_184204868.jpgPXL_20210402_184237680.jpgPXL_20210402_193548153.jpgPXL_20210402_193638367.jpgPXL_20210402_193704262.jpgPXL_20210402_193709732.jpgPXL_20210402_194904976.jpgPXL_20210402_195523110.jpgScreenshot 2021-04-02 162714.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was wanting to do the same with a bullet I have (round exterior).
bullet.png
Problem I had is that it would need to be flush with the face of the birdhouse. The hole it was poking through would otherwise cause problems with the IR glaring back into the lens.
Here I see you've made separate holes for the IR which solves this issue.
birdhouse_1.PNG
I made the hole big enough for the camera to sit flush.
But I decided that the camera became too obvious. It also raised the issue of aiming the camera without aiming the whole birdhouse.

In the future I might get a better camera anyway (VF lens too) and camo tape it.
The camera would be sitting in a bush looking side on to a letter box. Birdhouse was an attempt to raise it above the bush and then hide it.

Last edited:

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Subscribed

I am working on a birdhouse for a Dahua Bullet Cam, trying to figure out how I want to do it.

Reaction score
Subscribed

I am working on a birdhouse for a Dahua Bullet Cam, trying to figure out how I want to do it.
DO set up your camera on a pole and angle it the way you want it. I did not take this into acct for my $5 cedar birdhouse. The camera sits parallel with the ground which is no good because 1/2 pavement and 1/2 useless sky. It's currently angled a good 20-25degrees down to catch a full 6' person up close and beyond from head to toe.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is the first unsuspecting target (Bunny). I forgot to add that I am using Brian's (@bp2008) Sunrise/Sunset utility to change the Day/Night mode, since the photodetector on the camera is covered by the wood.

It clearly attracts attention being on the ground. Your delivery bunny seemed to stare at it the whole time she pulled up. Great for a facial but not so great if your intetnion is to stay covert. I agree with others, mount it to a tree or wall where it might look less out of place.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It clearly attracts attention being on the ground. Your delivery bunny seemed to stare at it the whole time she pulled up. Great for a facial but not so great if your intetnion is to stay covert. I agree with others, mount it to a tree or wall where it might look less out of place.
I happen to be in the garage when the mail bunny pulled up and she is looking at me, not the birdhouse. I have very obvious cams across the front of the house and most everyone are clueless about them. Another good note about this install, when I press fit the round cam into the wood hole, the cam heats up and makes an even tighter fit. It is very snug and no need for fasteners. I plan on painting house in near future and will paint birdhouse/post same color to match. Will also move birdhouse up against house and keep post to hide ethernet cable. As @Holbs stated, I have the post leaning and shim behind house for the best facial view. Even the birds are getting use to the new "Nest Cam". birdhouse 2.jpgbirdhouse.jpg

Last edited: