Anonymous snapshot on EmpireTech (Dahua) IPC-HDW2231R-ZS 2MP Starlight

Jared K

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. Newbie here 8 hours deep into trying to solve this problem. Attempting to get a video feed displayed in a wall mounted tablet in a browser.

I have an EmpireTech (Dahua) IPC-HDW2231R-ZS 2MP Starlight. I have the camera setup recording to a QNAP NAS, no problem. Using RTSP port (ONVIF still goes over the RTSP port of 554, yes?).

I am attempting to display the feed in an iframe in a browser, a kindle tablet I have mounted to the wall with my home automation (hubitat, for now) dashboard. I've given up on trying to get an MPEG stream directly from the camera over HTTP, and wanted to avoid running a VM to transcode it, so I deicded I would just go with a snapshot and refresh every 1 second. Meets my needs to see who is in the driveway.

BUT.. most browsers do not let you embed username/password. Chrome does not, nor does the Fully browser on the tablet seem to work.

So I can load the following URL in the address bar and it works.... but cannot embed in Iframe/tile.

http://<ADMIN>:<PASSWORD>@172.16.0.51/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi

So I figured I would just make it all anonymous. I limit access to the camera, it's only internal, so why not? But no matter what I do... THIS url always prompts for credentials. I have disabled ONVIF authentication, set anonymous login, tried a million different URLs.

Any suggestions?

1594058220460.png

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There are plenty of apps for tablets that allow you to stream from RSTP. Why not just use an app?

Jared K

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a specific need. Tablet is on the wall and displays a web page that controls my home. Looking to embed the feed on this page.