Angle of cam

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've stayed away from this section of the forum on purpose but I guess I'm starting to break down and contemplate adding an LPR cam.

My home is situated on a cul de sac near the entrance of the subdivision. I know the best way to figure this out is to purchase and test but I'm wondering if anyone else has experience in a similar location. Will I need to purchase and install 2 cameras in order to get traffic going each way?

I tested my overview cam which is a 5442t-ze with different shutter speeds. I think I can get away with very little zoom but I don't think I'll be able to capture incoming AND outgoing traffic.

Any ideas? Cropped Pic from my driveway overview cam is attached.
1639661176827.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The ZE is probably only good reliably for about 40 feet or so. Especially at night.

Post a screen shot of the ZE zoomed all the way in at the street.

Ideally, you only want about the size of the vehicle in the field of view. Too much more and then the plate begins to be too small.

Are you looking for a straight on shot down the street and then one turned left down that street?

I would go with two 5241-Z12E to make sure you have enough zoom. I think the ZE is cutting it too short on the straight away shot and you could get a car go at a wide angle and miss it. Ideally you would shoot for the pavement in front of the white truck so that you have straight shots of the plates.

And what is to the right - does a street go off that way and is it a no outlet?

But any camera left or right will have to angle down a way to try to flatten the angle.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like the IPC-B5442E-Z4E can do the job. But better install at a higher position.