Andy says I need more power!

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just received this camera from Andy:
Loryta SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Network Camera Auto Tracking Support PoE+ English Version Amazon.com: Loryta SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Network Camera Auto Tracking Support PoE+ English Version: Electronics turns out it needs to be powered by a 3at injector maybe .Now it is powered by the built in Poe switch on my Dahua NVR: Elite 4K 16 Channel H.265+ 1U NVR W/ 16 Ports POE - NVR-ELE16M-16P4KS2

The ptz controller when operated on Smart PSS or the NVR software, either does not respond, or when trying to pan, just sends the camera in circles until it decides to stop.
The camera is in a very inconvenient location for a power block.
Would it work to plug the camera into a 3at Poe injector, then into the built in switch on the NVR?

Thanks,
Tubac

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes it should....but get more confirmations. I had to plug in a POE injector Proprietary for a Pair of ubiquiti wireless nano's which were required for a 2.4 ghz wireless hookup.
I figured the Cisco 3650x was smart enough to negotiate the "no pwer needed thanks" handshake. You'd think they'd have some standardization so every tom dick and Larry didn't smoke their NVR's when they showed up with a new PTZ.....
I am running an 802.3 at switch now, The Poe standard should allow the devices to auto-negotiate the port you plug into with a handshake about power required yes or no.
Yes, you need 802.3 AT. I about shit myself when I had already bought a cisco 802.3af switch and the PTZ i bought required AT.

Last edited:

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Poe+ = 802.3at, so Andy's right.

@Flintstone61 Cisco's 3650x is probably smart enough, but ubiquity also uses 'passive poe' injectors, which isn't up to standards. I think they switched to 802.3af/at now, not sure.

Last edited:

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes it should....but get more confirmations. I had to plug in a POE injector Proprietary for a Pair of ubiquiti wireless nano's which were required for a 2.4 ghz wireless hookup.
Thanks for the reply.
Did your nvr have a built in Poe switch?
I get conflicting opinions regarding plugging in a stand alone Poe switch into a built in switch on the nvr.

Tubac

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Did your nvr have a built in Poe switch?
I get conflicting opinions regarding plugging in a stand alone Poe switch into a built in switch on the nvr.

Tubac
My nvr is a PC. No Nvr with POE. Thats why you might wanna research the best answer for this. Hopefully somebody replies to your post and gets you safely in the right direction. You might have to do a Google search about your PTZ power injector and see what its sending (data, power) to your nvr. The more I think about it I think the power injector pass along the power to the camera but the other wire just sends the data to the NVR

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This will work: POE+ injector

Mentioning Ubiquity in this thread is not relevant, it just muddies the waters. Ubiquity use's proprietary POE, IE: Non-standard.
All of this info is available with a simple google search.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Strange - my neighbors Lorex NVR runs the PTZ with no problem. He had bought a POE+ switch thinking he would need it, but the NVR supplied enough power to run it.

Was the problem during the day or only at night? With IR on it will use more power. But surprisingly, his 8-cam Lorex with all 8 cams running IR still supplied enough power. Take a look at the power consumption screen and see if one of the cams is pulling a larger amount and confirm you are within the limits or not. Maybe temporarily unplug a cam or two and see if the problem persists. Maybe the POE on the NVR is going out?