Analog PTZ camera with Blue Iris?

GarrityRV

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been using this site for years to troubleshoot my problems with Blue Iris. Unfortunately, I have come up with a dilemma that i have been unable to answer... I accidentally purchased a Hikvision DS-2AE5123TI-A camera. When it arrived and i saw the BNC connectors, i knew i made a big mistake. So my question is, Does anyone know if it is possible to get an old PTZ analog camera to work with Blue Iris? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Derek

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You would need a video encoder to convert the analog to digital. Likely for the price of a camera or more. Could also do a video capture card in the computer. Plus you’d need a converter for the PTZ controls and run additional wiring for that.

I have a box of analog PTZs and decided it was a waste of money for low resolution outdated tech.

I’d return it for an IP camera. I know not the answer you were hoping for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GarrityRV

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Well, i guess ill have to just return it then :/ Moral of the story, always check the data sheet before buying a camera ;)

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Welcome! When a local store closed down I was able to get all their CCTV stuff (and a bunch of PCs that are perfect for Blue Iris!) for free. Now I have a box of old cameras that are probably best in the dumpster. Lol

GarrityRV

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmm, I am seeing some cheap USB BNC video capture devices for around $16 and a RS-485 to usb device for about the same. The camera is on the same building that the NVR is in... So, If i ran the extra wiring and got this thing connected to the NVR, Blue Iris could control it? Do i need anything special for the capture and RS-485 interfaces? Or is it just as long as said devices are Windows 10 compatible, everything will work fine?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I would imagine it would work as long as windows has the drivers for it. BI has the option for serial PTZ control. I was hopeful for mine since I have the RS485 joystick and a bunch of repeaters. Our local mall upgraded from analog to digital so I got a bunch of their stuff too. Helps to know the people in charge! When I first got everything I tested using an old DVR as an encoder but it was so old the resolution was miserable compared to my first IP camera. That’s when I decided to just go full IP and be done with it.

inline6

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been using this site for years to troubleshoot my problems with Blue Iris. Unfortunately, I have come up with a dilemma that i have been unable to answer... I accidentally purchased a Hikvision DS-2AE5123TI-A camera. When it arrived and i saw the BNC connectors, i knew i made a big mistake. So my question is, Does anyone know if it is possible to get an old PTZ analog camera to work with Blue Iris? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Derek
I have 3 Pelco PTZ's hooked up through a Dahua DVR that streams to my BI.
Everything works fine, but when compared to my 2MP cams its like having sand in your eyes.
BI will allow all functions but AUX relays to function on those cams.