Amcrest IP2M841B - Missing Auto Tracking feature?

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have the Amcrest IP2M841B running wirelessly with my BI. But the web UI is missing the Auto Tracking feature and the Amcrest App doesn't turn on the feature and says, Failed to connect.

I think there are different versions of this camera, but only software or both hardware?

Here is the version information I have, can someone help me understand if it's possible for me to get Auto Tracking and if so, how? Or, is it not possible anymore on this camera?

Thanks!

Version Info:

Software VersionV2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2020-03-30
WEB Version3.2.1.619604
ONVIF Version16.12(V2.4.1.513183)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is my Version info that has the autotracking feature:

Software VersionV2.800.0000000.6.R, Build Date: 2020-03-14
WEB VersionV3.2.1.864542
ONVIF Version18.12(V2.4.5.826858)

Make sure you try different web browsers. Normally Dahua OEM like Explorer, but this camera works best for me with Edge.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is my Version info that has the autotracking feature:

Software VersionV2.800.0000000.6.R, Build Date: 2020-03-14
WEB VersionV3.2.1.864542
ONVIF Version18.12(V2.4.5.826858)

Make sure you try different web browsers. Normally Dahua OEM like Explorer, but this camera works best for me with Edge.
Looks like my firmware is older... How do you update it @wittaj?

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have found the autotracking to be quite crappy on this camera.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you elaborate how you use it and why does it suck?
I have it in my living room on my tv stand. It never fails to catch a light reflection or my cat's tail as it walks down the hall and ends up staring at the wall. I have it reset to looking into the room but it always ends up looking at the wall. The other annoying part is that is jumps to far overshooting the person that it is trying to follow.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
fyi - camera being discussed

View attachment 112499
Correct, I got it for free from Amcrest as part of a promotion. It's a solid little camera, great for watching my pets. I have just found the auto-tracking a little lacking, maybe a little over-sensitive. It could also be my placement but I don't want a camera to be real obvious. I also have it setup on a curl command that puts it into a privacy mode when I am home from home assistant.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it possible that this camera has a few versions? Looks like for mine they don't market auto tracking anymore...

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is it possible that this camera has a few versions? Looks like for mine they don't market auto tracking anymore...
they do make a lot of cameras in that same body.

that one still shows autotracking

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks!

Guess I'm SOL, I got this one:

Looks like the difference is the IP2M-841B. The 'B' model seems to have auto-tracking. I don't know your use case but I don't think you are honestly missing that much on this camera. While I will say auto-tracking on a PTZ is a needed feature on most PTZ cameras otherwise you will miss the action that you are trying to capture because without it will always be looking at the wrong place. Unless you plan to use this PTZ to actively monitor with that is. But like I said the auto-tracking isn't that impressive on this camera I have it on and it's ok I think the issue is mostly that you get too close to it in my house so it loses tracking on people. I mostly use home assistant to trigger PTZ positions which works great. The front door opens and the alarm is armed it spins to look at it. Same for the back door. The privacy mode is the real good feature of the camera, the lens being completely hidden is much nicer than even a camera that is off. Which is how my other indoor cameras operate.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like the difference is the IP2M-841B. The 'B' model seems to have auto-tracking. I don't know your use case but I don't think you are honestly missing that much on this camera. While I will say auto-tracking on a PTZ is a needed feature on most PTZ cameras otherwise you will miss the action that you are trying to capture because without it will always be looking at the wrong place. Unless you plan to use this PTZ to actively monitor with that is. But like I said the auto-tracking isn't that impressive on this camera I have it on and it's ok I think the issue is mostly that you get too close to it in my house so it loses tracking on people. I mostly use home assistant to trigger PTZ positions which works great. The front door opens and the alarm is armed it spins to look at it. Same for the back door. The privacy mode is the real good feature of the camera, the lens being completely hidden is much nicer than even a camera that is off. Which is how my other indoor cameras operate.
Nifty automation you got there. Thanks for sharing the experience with me. I only want to use these as my garage cameras. So you're likely right... I don't need a whole lot of tracking of moving objects, I'd say .

The B simply means black. The W means the white one. Apparently the silver one doesn't have autotrack.
Good catch @wittaj... Wonder what moniker in the model numbers actually signals auto tracking or not... I'll keep researching...

Thanks all!

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nifty automation you got there. Thanks for sharing the experience with me. I only want to use these as my garage cameras. So you're likely right... I don't need a whole lot of tracking of moving objects, I'd say .

Good catch @wittaj... Wonder what moniker in the model numbers actually signals auto tracking or not... I'll keep researching...

Thanks all!
The automation is quite nice and keeps from needing multiple cameras scattered around inside. I like cameras but I also enjoy not looking like a prison yard. I am thinking of recreating it outside with a PTZ using the same zigbee sensors on my mailbox and spotter cams. Just trying to find a small enough PTZ with auto-tracking as I think it will be much more useful outside...

I did notice my camera is version 3, you may have an older version.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The automation is quite nice and keeps from needing multiple cameras scattered around inside. I like cameras but I also enjoy not looking like a prison yard. I am thinking of recreating it outside with a PTZ using the same zigbee sensors on my mailbox and spotter cams. Just trying to find a small enough PTZ with auto-tracking as I think it will be much more useful outside...

I did notice my camera is version 3, you may have an older version.
Awesome automation plans man... Wonder how I can tell what models are v3 and if it's software or hardware changes... I appreciate the knowledge share here...