Amcrest IP Camera addition with "User name and password error" message connecting to Hikvision DS-7616NI-I2

soundfx222

n3wb
Reaction score
HI Everyone,
Thanks for this great website and your forums. It is extremely helpful and I have learned a ton of information on camera installation common errors and fixes. I have one now with trying to add an Amcrest IP8M-T2499EB camera to a hikvision DS-7616NI-I2 / 16P. I am getting the familiar Offline (user name and password error). I have another amcrest camera and also had this issue but it resolved after I did something but not sure as I did a shotgun approach.

The DVR is detecting the camera D3 as you can see. A question I have is does the "Camera Name" need to be unique? I did not change the camera name in the second camera so is this possibly the issue?

forum01.JPG
What I have tried so far in the web interface:
  1. using the same login and password for both DVR and IP cameras
  2. I performed the Syn IPC password
  3. I reentered the admin password and check the boxes for "use as default IP camera password, and " sync. IPC password"
  4. I enabled the virtual host function to connect with the hyperlink under connect and and the system is not able to connect to the camera
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have never had a problem with the "name". However remember to login using the cameras password. That is the last step. I do not see the password column on the table you posted. Maybe it is security???

soundfx222

n3wb
Reaction score
HI Parley,
Thanks for your suggestion. The camera password and the DVR are using the same password. I check the security tab in the Hikvision and enter the password again with the sync. ICP checked. Still the issue continues.

securitysection.JPG

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Before connecting the camera to the NVR PoE port, did you set the camera IP address to be 192.168.254.3 so it matches what the NVR PoE channel is set to be expect?

soundfx222

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Alastair:
Thanks for your question. I originally had it set to my home LAN network at 192.168.0.30 which I forgot to change it to be the same LAN as the DVR (192.168.254.1). So to answer your question it was after I connected the camera to the DVR that I changed the IP address . This morning I changed the camera to 192.168.254.3 and plugged it into channel 3.

To follow up on the troubleshooting this afternoon I carried a power adapter and laptop with a crossover cable to the camera which is mounted on a tree. I climbed up and logged into the camera's web interface with 192.168.254.3 and reentered the admin password which is the same as the Hikvision DVR to confirm they are in sync. I also wanted to make sure I did not make an easily fixable IP address error and to confirm the admin password to be the same. Everything looked as expected.

Here is a screen pic of the Amcrest camera IP settings for the camera. Thanks again for ask questions that may lead to a solution.

amcrestIPmod02_torrent.JPG

soundfx222

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Alastair:
Thanks for your question. I originally had it set to my home LAN network at 192.168.0.30 which I forgot to change it to be the same LAN as the DVR (192.168.254.1). So to answer your question it was after I connected the camera to the DVR that I changed the IP address . This morning I changed the camera to 192.168.254.3 and plugged it into channel 3.

To follow up on the troubleshooting this afternoon I carried a power adapter and laptop with a crossover cable to the camera which is mounted on a tree. I climbed up and logged into the camera's web interface with 192.168.254.3 and reentered the admin password which is the same as the Hikvision DVR to confirm they are in sync. I also wanted to make sure I did not make an easily fixable IP address error and to confirm the admin password to be the same. Everything looked as expected.

Here is a screen pic of the Amcrest camera IP settings for the camera. Thanks again for ask questions that may lead to a solution.
Hi All,

I just learned if I moved the one working camera 192.168.254.2 to slot channel 3 that it will not work and now produces the same message of " user name or password error" , In addition when I now move the camera back to the 2nd channel slot it no longer works like it use to.

I would like to understand why the IP address assigned by the DVR are now up to 192.168.254.24! I have 16 channels so I would assume the IP last 3 digits would not go passed 17. If there a pool of address that it is assigning new camera devices? It seems to be creating new IP addresses every time a camera goes into another channel slot. How is this to be explained? How can you release these IP address to be used again?

Thanks.

Last edited:

soundfx222

n3wb
Reaction score
HI Everyone,

OK I have found a solution that you may perform on the NVR under the Camera → IP Camera and then "Edit IP Camera" screen that will bring the camera online ( see screenshot below). In the Adding Method dropdown menu choose "Manual" add method and not the default "plug and Play". You may also change the IP address and all other parameters here as well! Tomorrow I will try this fix on the initial camera that started me asking for your assistance.

manual adding method.JPG

The one concern I have is when I look at the camera configuration screen it says under the security column "Weak". Does it refer to the password being weak? It sound like it to me because the password I use is weak but I am not certain if that is the reason security says "weak". I will follow up tomorrow when I try the same with my second Amcrest camera that started the cause of this thread and asking for assistance. Thanks.

BTW one of my other camera's is a Hv dome and I had no issue what so ever when connecting to the HV NVR. ONVIF camera seem to be much more challenging. Thanks for all your help.

weak.JPG

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
To follow up on the troubleshooting this afternoon I carried a power adapter and laptop with a crossover cable to the camera which is mounted on a tree
Just to save effort for any future similar requirements -
You will be able to access any other NVR PoE port connected cameras if you connect the PC into an unused NVR PoE port.
And these days, a normal straight cable will work OK, a crossover isn't needed.

I would like to understand why the IP address assigned by the DVR are now up to 192.168.254.24! I have 16 channels so I would assume the IP last 3 digits would not go passed 17. If there a pool of address that it is assigning new camera devices? It seems to be creating new IP addresses every time a camera goes into another channel slot. How is this to be explained? How can you release these IP address to be used again?
Any address in the 192.168.254.x range would be valid for use.
As for how the firmware picks another free address to use in Plug&Play mode - I've no idea.

The one concern I have is when I look at the camera configuration screen it says under the security column "Weak". Does it refer to the password being weak? It sound like it to me because the password I use is weak but I am not certain if that is the reason security says "weak".
Yes, it's commenting on the strength of the assigned password, usually an indication that the number of characters is a bit small.

ONVIF camera seem to be much more challenging
Generally for ONVIF on a Hikvision NVR it's best to set the channel to Manual instead of Plug&Play and set the IP address and password to match those that you have pre-defined on the camera.

soundfx222

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Alastair:
Thank you for all your responses and advice. I am happy to report that I am now able to see all Amcrest Cameras and they are online. This was a great learning experience and I hope it helps other in the future with ONVIF camera's and Hikvision configuration. Once again I want to thank this community and all it members for their efforts of making IP camera setups a bit more archivable with the help this website brings.

resolution.JPG

QUOTE="alastairstevenson, post: 520105, member: 1907"]
Just to save effort for any future similar requirements -
You will be able to access any other NVR PoE port connected cameras if you connect the PC into an unused NVR PoE port.
And these days, a normal straight cable will work OK, a crossover isn't needed.

Thank you Alastair for this tip. I can now see the logic of this working since the ports are on the 1923.168.254.x side of the LAN

Security column question Quote
Yes, it's commenting on the strength of the assigned password, usually an indication that the number of characters is a bit small.

Yes, this makes sense now. It is the strength of the password chosen. Not too concerning as I plan on keeping this a closed network with no external access to the Web.

Generally for ONVIF on a Hikvision NVR it's best to set the channel to Manual instead of Plug&Play and set the IP address and password to match those that you have pre-defined on the camera.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, it reminds of the old saying devices can sometimes be 'plug and pray' rather than 'plug and play '☺. I have now learned that passwords need to be managed at the camera level as well.

Once again thank you for all your advice and assistance.