Amazon: buyer beware

FrankZ

n3wb
Reaction score
I ordered a Hikvision NVR from CCTwholesale outlet on Amazon. They responded that they do not have it in stock but they do have another unbranded one. No big deal, I canceled the order.

I tried ordering it from Obdo Tech and guess what, they didn't have it but offered me another one, again I cancelled. The kicker is the day I ordered from Obdo, I started receiving several bogus charges on my credit card. My CC company called me, I told them what happened and they cancelled the card and sent me a new one.

Just FYI since apparently Amazon will let anyone sell things on its site.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I ordered a Hikvision NVR from CCTwholesale outlet on Amazon. They responded that they do not have it in stock but they do have another unbranded one. No big deal, I canceled the order.

I tried ordering it from Obdo Tech and guess what, they didn't have it but offered me another one, again I cancelled. The kicker is the day I ordered from Obdo, I started receiving several bogus charges on my credit card. My CC company called me, I told them what happened and they cancelled the card and sent me a new one.

Just FYI since apparently Amazon will let anyone sell things on its site.
Thanks for the heads up..It may be a coincidence, I dont believe amazon gives merchants your credit card info..they process the payments themselves...

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have not had that happen to me yet, but yes, I always check on the reviews of the sellers instead of just going by the default (cheapest) option.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I buy tons of things from amazon, and I mean tons. Merchants do not get the CC info so they are one of the safer places to do business with, but you do have to watch the seller and not just take the first option, usually there are plenty of sellers to chose from for any given product.

The one area I have had issues with Amazon is the Amazon Warehouse Deals, I have tried and received different product inside the packaging so it appears people buy something, then return something else in the new packaging and Amazon is bad at catching it. I think I'm done with the "deals" from there but otherwise I love Amazon.

Defender3

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW - I bought what was advertised as a U.S. version (white box) Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-IS from Ctronics Security Cameras. The package came from China and was a brown boxed Chinese version camera. I requested a return (absolutely no desire to mess with firmware hacks) and the company initially offered me $25 off the price since (paraphrased) US version cameras were hard to come by right now. I declined and requested a refund, which was granted. I did not have any cc issues.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FWIW - I bought what was advertised as a U.S. version (white box) Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-IS from Ctronics Security Cameras. The package came from China and was a brown boxed Chinese version camera. I requested a return (absolutely no desire to mess with firmware hacks) and the company initially offered me $25 off the price since (paraphrased) US version cameras were hard to come by right now. I declined and requested a refund, which was granted. I did not have any cc issues.
I don't blame you. The Aliexpress vendors always explicitly tell you which firmware they will come with, and which language. Price seems to match Amazon most of the time.

Defender3

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't blame you. The Aliexpress vendors always explicitly tell you which firmware they will come with, and which language. Price seems to match Amazon most of the time.
Thanks for the tip on Aliexpress. I opened an account with AV Supply (CA USA) and bought all an all US version Hikvision system: DS-7716NI-SP16 NVR with DS-2CD2332s and a DS-2CD2532F-IS (I'll be adding a Bosch Outdoor Flexdome IP 5000 as soon as I unbox it). The prices were marginally higher than Amazon, but it was worth it (to me) to have all US components/firmware.

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Amazon definitely doesn't release your CC info to anybody.

If you don't want to take any chances, buy from milkisbad here, who works for LTS Inc. They are US region Hikvision, though re-branded, but that won't matter at all.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on Aliexpress. I opened an account with AV Supply (CA USA) and bought all an all US version Hikvision system: DS-7716NI-SP16 NVR with DS-2CD2332s and a DS-2CD2532F-IS (I'll be adding a Bosch Outdoor Flexdome IP 5000 as soon as I unbox it). The prices were marginally higher than Amazon, but it was worth it (to me) to have all US components/firmware.
If prices were only slightly higher than Chinese version, then that'd a no brainer. Did not know about AV Supply though. Had not heard of them. Hikvision doesn't exactly have an easy list of US companies that punters like us can order easily from.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With Chrome translating these cams without any intervention, I dont see any problem with the Chinese Version cams.