Amazon attempts to open my front door to deliver package

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting. I always buy sold by amazon.com when I can and avoid third party sellers. Trader Joe's is my go to place for nuts.
I use Trader Joe’s and Costco for nuts now, but there used to be a time when I could order these from Amazon for a lot less when lesser chances of being stale

I ordered 8 16oz bags of pistachios for $4 each with an expiration date of March 2023 Good deal if you ask me, but when I took the first bite I puked

Then comes the mold accompanying protein
bars sold by amazon

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I use Trader Joe’s and Costco for nuts now, but there used to be a time when I could order these from Amazon for a lot less when lesser chances of being stale

I ordered 8 16oz bags of pistachios for $4 each with an expiration date of March 2023 Good deal if you ask me, but when I took the first bite I puked

Then comes the mold accompanying protein
bars sold by amazon
Costco has a good selection of raw nuts but you gotta eat a lot of nuts....

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I was able to speak with the local Amazon location and they looked into it for me. They stated there was a delivery instruction to deliver it into the house and it had a 3 digit code for the front door. Which is consistent with the code the delivery drive attempted to put into the lock.

He said they can’t remove those instructions so I’m going to have to follow up with Amazon. We’ll see how it goes. I’m just curious how those instructions got on there because I’m 100% sure I didn’t request them.
It will be an assistant mistake at Customer Services. I bet a customer has rung in to put an instruction on their account and the assistant has accidentally pulled up the wrong person's account.

I can' see how they can say it can't be removed. I'm sure there's some regulator over there who would say different. Failing that, ask for it to be amended (surely they must do that) and replace the existing instructions with a new one, such as leave on the front porch by the door behind the ....

It's a big co-incidence you both have a key pad lock on the front door.

I'm guessing the other person probably hsa a double door arrangement where there's an outer door and inner door, and their key pad provides access to the space between.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Now that you bring that up. If the driver didn't find a keypad, I wonder how much time he would have spent looking for one.

We put in a new storm door and a new main front door a few years ago. The storm door is almost all glass (with a screen insert you can swap for the glass one). We never use the screen one. This door faces due south.

Anyhow, the all-glass storm door, and the fact that it seals well, caused the whole system to behave as a solar panel. In the spring and fall, and even warm days in the winter, the intense sun caused the space between the two doors, and indeed the face of the main door, to heat to such an extent that it actually burned the finish off of the inner door. So I installed some reflective window tinting that reflects over 80% of the IR, and probably a similar amount of visible light. So looking at our front door is like looking at a mirror. And due to it allowing some light to pass through, when it's light outside, we can look out that door, and watch whatever is out there, and they cannot see in. Sort of the old "two way mirror" effect.

One day, a squirrel came up to the front door, saw itself, and tried to attack its reflection. This was funny enough, but what added to the entertainment was that one of our cats was inside sitting right by the door! The reaction of the cat was pretty funny.

And the other day, a little girl came across the street, knocked on our door, and then opened the storm door. She was more or less horrified when she found that the inner door was open, and she was face to face with a big Maine Coon cat who was sitting on a chair looking out. I'm sure she expected the inner door to be closed, and wanted to knock on it.

But the reason this thread reminded me of all of this is that back when we didn't have the tinting on the storm door, the delivery folks would often put small packages between the storm door and the main door. And that's a good thing because we get gnarly winds a lot of the time. The bad thing was that they didn't realize that things would often be incinerated by the intense heat.

Now that it's pretty safe to put packages there, they don't dare open the storm door because they can't see in to know if the inner door is open or closed. So I need to build a delivery drop box and mount it to the porch so they can put lightweight packages in there, I guess. Our delivery folks from all of the services have been excellent over the years. They really try to do their best from what I have seen.

If you had a mud room between your outer storm door and a separate inner door, that would make an excellent area for delivery folks to place packages. And having a keypad lock on that outer door would give you reasonable security but without inconveniencing the delivery folks too much. Maybe that's pretty common.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
012 is a horrible code LOL. Almost makes me wonder if they were testing something and it accidentally got live to your delivery?

Reaction score
I honestly think it was a glitch with their website. When I placed that order it never showed up in my order history and the confirmation email was delayed for a while. I actually accidently double ordered it because of the way the website was acting.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It’s just aggravating when expecting packages that don’t show up on time, then when it comes to return something to Amazon, it doesn’t always get refunded in a timely manner

What wrong with Walmart+ or Costco?
With my Amazon returns, as soon as I drop it off at the UPS depot, the refund goes into my account as soon as it gets into the tracking system. Never had a problem with refunds.