Amazon attempts to open my front door to deliver package

Reaction score
Yesterday evening I had a package delivered by Amazon. I wasn't home at the time but I noticed the Amazon delivery driver appeared to be at the front door longer than usual (Thanks to my Pushover AI alerts). I reviewed the video and I observed the Amazon employee place the package on the ground in front of the front door. After that he entered a code into my electronic deadbolt lock and tried to open the front door. Based on the video footage, it appeared he was following delivery instructions on his tablet. It doesn't appear that he had any bad intentions and he looked confused when the door didn't open. The problem is that I did not provide any special delivery instructions nor did I ever instruct Amazon to deliver a package inside of my house. I know Amazon will deliver a package inside of a garage upon request, but I'm not sure about actually entering the main part of your house.

The package that he delivered was from an online order I placed a few days ago. I had issues with the order and the Amazon website was not functioning properly, so maybe he had delivery instructions for a different order. I followed up with Amazon customer support. I had to explain the situations twice to the rep because of a language barrier. I'm not sure if they even fully understood the situations. However, they assured me they put a note on the account and that this situation will never happen again. I think I'm going to try and follow up with the local Amazon location if possible.

Link to my front door video-
Link to overview video-

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmm, I think I would be checking in with them about that. Last thing I would want is a amazon having my door code. Word gets around ya know. I agree this would appear the guy was just trying to follow instructions however one never knows.

Reaction score
What I fail to understand is why they leave a package directly in front of the door. If you’ve ordered something online there’s a real good chance you will get a notification or five that it has been delivered. Set it to the side, I know you dropped it off, don’t make it obvious to everyone on the road.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Checks and double checks his tablet and appears perplexed, I am guessing it is on the level and a honest mistake. I could see someone wanting something left inside if it is high value.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would agree with the above. It does seem legit. He didn't do the tell-tale signs of someone up to no good. Looked like he was trying to be quick and efficient doing his job. But at the same time why take the pic on the porch and then try the door (unless that is their protocol). Maybe on the way up his screen was on and he accidentally moved to the next delivery that had a code for a delivery?

Reaction score
I was able to speak with the local Amazon location and they looked into it for me. They stated there was a delivery instruction to deliver it into the house and it had a 3 digit code for the front door. Which is consistent with the code the delivery drive attempted to put into the lock.

He said they can’t remove those instructions so I’m going to have to follow up with Amazon. We’ll see how it goes. I’m just curious how those instructions got on there because I’m 100% sure I didn’t request them.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s just aggravating when expecting packages that don’t show up on time, then when it comes to return something to Amazon, it doesn’t always get refunded in a timely manner

What wrong with Walmart+ or Costco?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman I just feel that amazon has been overshadowed by its third party vendors and marketplace lately

I find fewer items sold and fulfilled by amazon for the things I need. Nuts especially, always arrive stale. Never order food from
Amazon. Whole Foods is overpriced too
Interesting. I always buy sold by amazon.com when I can and avoid third party sellers. Trader Joe's is my go to place for nuts.