Am I Missing Out Not Using DeepStack?

danimal86

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@danimal86 For the cost of the decent Ring you can get the Dahua villa style doorbell. PoE and a display with it in the kit. I believe the model number is VTO2202 but check with Andy.
I hadn't seen that before....I only started in on my research (i mean i started today).

I like the display, but damn.....that doorbell is a bit much.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem is the amount of electronics needed for both the camera, auxiliary controls and PoE. I'll probably be ordering one of these for the driveway gate. I have zero confidence in a DB1C, or other WFi toy, being able to stay connected even if I put a hot spot in the house about 30 feet from where it'll be mounted.

danimal86

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The problem is the amount of electronics needed for both the camera, auxiliary controls and PoE. I'll probably be ordering one of these for the driveway gate. I have zero confidence in a DB1C, or other WFi toy, being able to stay connected even if I put a hot spot in the house about 30 feet from where it'll be mounted.
Seems like the perfect solution for a gate, i watched a youtube video of just that, and looked perfect.

Just for a doorbell seems like overkill. I'll keep looking around and see what comes out in the near future.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Gotcha. A doorbell is the next thing on my list. I thought about just getting a Ring Doorbell and not paying the monthly/early, but id rather have something that will integrate with BI.
I recently installed the Amcrest AD410 and I really like it.

danimal86

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I got deepstacks installed. Install went quick and easy.

I only enabled it on my ptz, I have it cancel the alert if it matches a "car", seems to work well.
The only thing I'm noticing is that it only works when it catches motion while stationary. If it starts stacking someone it doesnt get scanned in deepstacks. It doesn't show anything in the logs. This normal?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Gotcha. A doorbell is the next thing on my list. I thought about just getting a Ring Doorbell and not paying the monthly/early, but id rather have something that will integrate with BI.
DavidL noted on the DB1C thread that it is on sale again at B&H Photo for $49.99 (deal of the day type sale - so it's only valid for a limited time). At that price, you really can't go wrong with the DB1C. I definitely suggest you buy it at that price while you can!

On Sale Again @TechBill

bignose3

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Little off topic but seems the knowledge is here.
Trying to LPR at my gate

Just set up deepstack to narrow alerts to car & LP but using PlateRecognizer for the actual OCR

All works really well now but decided would like to record all the time but min resources.

I set up the substream continuous & trigger but when it alerts it uses the substream poor image.
I have read this is an issue & to get around with pre-buffer & iFrame adjustment.

Trying to work this out roughly before testing as with a car back & forth & back to the PC is a pain.

I had read with DS & LPR also not good to use pre-buffer, can't remember why but it seems it is done on this thread.

Sure can adjust but my issue is making sure the alert is when the car is in exactly the right position for best angle on the LP as only 1 image per sec can be sent to PR.
Crossing zones I have got this right at the moment, not sure if prebuffer will mess with this & if I have to adjust iFrame & if the alert could choose from perhaps 0.5 seconds of images might be too late for a good angle.
Just trying to understand the concept.

Thanks I/A

bignose3

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Follow up to my previous post, I thought to keep it simple & safe I set up a duplicate camera instead until I can really understand the substream on one source.

The trouble is the Alert camera did not pick up on a clear DS & movement trigger? I 100% know it should have alerted.

The only think I can think of is, rather than record substream all the time, I had set up the duplicate on exactly the same high res stream but with a basic movement only trigger.
Does using the same stream mess with one alert or the other. I would have thought not as know this is often how it is used but certainly the case here.

I am going to test using movement trigger still but on the substream.