Alternatives To Dahua Or Hikvision?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua and Hikvision where NOT band for US sales. The can not sell to the US Government or any contractors that use US Government money to purchase them. Any person or business can purchase Dahua and Hikvision cameras.

Reaction score
I never said they were currently banned. I was partly in error as I forgot it only applied to government contracts, but I was quite well aware that currently private contractors and users could buy them.

slamb

n3wb
Reaction score
Reporting back in:
  • Uniview: turns out they're also actively supporting the Uyghur genocide, so I skipped them.
  • Hanwha: I concur with "priced higher"; so far I haven't found a recent model that I wanted to pay for.
  • Reolink: based on experiments with a borrowed camera, I can certainly see why you folks don't like them. In particular, their RTSP-over-TCP support is badly broken by bugs in the very old version of live555 they're using. (Also, I don't like that there's no stream really useful for on-NVR analytics. The main stream on many of these cameras is too high-resolution/expensive to deal with and the sub stream is so low-resolution that image quality is poor. No "Goldilocks" stream.) Someone else wrote to me: "I don't understand how a single camera manufacturer can have an array of very similar products (say, wifi cameras) and have such a diverse set of bugs, as though each product was implemented from the ground-up without any iteration on a previous product."
  • Geovision: I bought a GV-EBD4701 to try out. So far so good. It's not as good of a value as the Dahuas but it's in the right ballpark. RTSP seems to be working decently well now. (I've hit a few specification conformance bugs but no deal-breakers.) It supports triple-stream with a decent resolution selection. I haven't looked too much into image quality yet but this seems promising.