Alternative to Reolink RLC410WS ?

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using Blue Iris with some Hikvision Cam's indoor which work great on WiFi (aside from the firmware update bricking which I used this forum to fix -- thanks!).

However I now need a WiFi outdoor cam. I cannot use PoE, and I don't want a separate WiFi router to make a wired cam into a wireless. The Reolink RLC410WS is exactly what I want (outdoor, video and audio, night vision etc), however I read on this forum a lot of warnings that they are not good especially with Blue Iris. So what I need is just a wireless outdoor cam that plugs in to the wall. The cameras as close to the router to signal is not an issue.

Was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on this. Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm using Blue Iris with some Hikvision Cam's indoor which work great on WiFi (aside from the firmware update bricking which I used this forum to fix -- thanks!).

However I now need a WiFi outdoor cam. I cannot use PoE, and I don't want a separate WiFi router to make a wired cam into a wireless. The Reolink RLC410WS is exactly what I want (outdoor, video and audio, night vision etc), however I read on this forum a lot of warnings that they are not good especially with Blue Iris. So what I need is just a wireless outdoor cam that plugs in to the wall. The cameras as close to the router to signal is not an issue.

Was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on this. Thanks!
HI Automaton,

Reolink = avoid.

Dahua has some wifi models... IPC-HFW1320xx

Note, it does not have a microphone

Costco carries it under the Q-see brand name for about $80 ( includes AC adapter )

There should be some newer models also, so take a look at the Dahua website and see what options they list under wifi.

[ note - wifi is not liked here for security cameras for numerous reasons, the biggest is reliability and disconnect issues / interference issues associated with attempting to run a streaming service over consumer quality wifi equipment. ]

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
HI Automaton,

Reolink = avoid.

Dahua has some wifi models... IPC-HFW1320xx

Note, it does not have a microphone

Costco carries it under the Q-see brand name for about $80 ( includes AC adapter )

There should be some newer models also, so take a look at the Dahua website and see what options they list under wifi.

[ note - wifi is not liked here for security cameras for numerous reasons, the biggest is reliability and disconnect issues / interference issues associated with attempting to run a streaming service over consumer quality wifi equipment. ]
Thanks for the reply. I'm in Canada, but they are indeed selling a Q-See WiFi model (Costco Wholesale). So that is an option. I will look at Dahua as well. They're also selling Arlo and Lorex products, not sure about those.

Offhand, do you know if the bullet style can be mounted against a vertical wall (instead of on the ceiling)?

I understand the reason why WiFi isn't well liked, and the reasons make sense I think. But in my application it's not security critical, and the connection is good enough for my personal use. So the convenience factor in my case is well worth it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm in Canada, but they are indeed selling a Q-See WiFi model (Costco Wholesale). So that is an option. I will look at Dahua as well. They're also selling Arlo and Lorex products, not sure about those.

Offhand, do you know if the bullet style can be mounted against a vertical wall (instead of on the ceiling)?

I understand the reason why WiFi isn't well liked, and the reasons make sense I think. But in my application it's not security critical, and the connection is good enough for my personal use. So the convenience factor in my case is well worth it.
Hi Automation,

AVOID Arlo.

Avoid cloud dependent cameras.

Lorex is ok - mostly Dahua OEM rebrand w/IVS features stripped out. Dahua OEM or Q-see retain the IVS features for products which have it, iirc the IPC-HxW1xxxx series does not have IVS features. Of course if you're using Blue Iris, it does it's own IVS equivalent calculations on the PC.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Turret style will have less spider issue's than a bullet, but yes a bullet can be mounted on a wall.

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
Turret style will have less spider issue's than a bullet, but yes a bullet can be mounted on a wall.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind turret style but I assume it must be mounted to the ceiling, or it requires one of those 90 degree turn mounts? So figured bullet style would be easier to the wall.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind turret style but I assume it must be mounted to the ceiling, or it requires one of those 90 degree turn mounts? So figured bullet style would be easier to the wall.
Nope, a turret style dahua cam be mounted any way you need.

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
Nope, a turret style dahua cam be mounted any way you need.
Okay, I will take a look. I'm on AliExpress now, but it's very hard for me to find an outdoor WiFi camera with audio support, and the ones I do find often don't have the power cable with them and I'm a bit confused on what to buy. I wish the process was a bit easier.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, I will take a look. I'm on AliExpress now, but it's very hard for me to find an outdoor WiFi camera with audio support, and the ones I do find often don't have the power cable with them and I'm a bit confused on what to buy. I wish the process was a bit easier.
Dahua does not show any wifi cams with audio.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Automaton,

Indeed the process is confusing, and some vendors do not help as they often are not fully honest in their descriptions.

I HIGHLY encourage you to re-evaluate using WiFi and re-consider using a wired IP PoE setup.

As is, you will have to run power to the camera already, so why not take an extra step and run cat5e/cat6 instead?

Remember if you do that you can leverage our experiences with quality IP PoE cameras and pick a good one, vs digging through possible WiFi options which will never work as well.

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
And if you haven't yet, click on the wiki at top of page and read the cliff notes.
Thanks, I am reading it now.

Techage seems to have a camera that has everything I want including a 12v power adapter (Techage 1080P WIFI IP Camera Indoor Outdoor Waterproof Network 2MP Audio Record Sound Wireless Camera P2P Onvif SD Card Slot Cam-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group). But I see from other posts here it's not recommended. So it's a tough spot I guess.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I am reading it now.

Techage seems to have a camera that has everything I want including a 12v power adapter (Techage 1080P WIFI IP Camera Indoor Outdoor Waterproof Network 2MP Audio Record Sound Wireless Camera P2P Onvif SD Card Slot Cam-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group). But I see from other posts here it's not recommended. So it's a tough spot I guess.
Avoid the lesser known brands.. you will have more trouble than it is worth.

Go with Dahua or Hikvision OEM and international models.

See the cliff notes.

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
Avoid the lesser known brands.. you will have more trouble than it is worth.

Go with Dahua or Hikvision OEM and international models.

See the cliff notes.
I am reading the cliff notes now actually, but unfortunately none of the recommended brands have what I want (outdoor, WiFi, audio).

For your previous reply, I have a power outlet already right next to where I want to mount it outside with a outdoor covered lock box around the outlet. Running cat5/6 would be a massive amount of work, and I simply don't have the time or desire (I had a newborn). As it is my WiFi cams have been working amazing in the house for the last 3+ years, and they are only a few feet (inside) from where the outdoor one would be mounted.

I understand that it may not be what people on this forum recommend (rightly so), but sometimes it's the best solution. Just trying to find something that works in my situation.

It's unfortunate that it's easily filled by proprietary solutions (like Nest, Arlo, Reolink etc.), but very difficult to find non-cloud solutions for this. At the moment, sadly, Reolink remains my best option.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am reading the cliff notes now actually, but unfortunately none of the recommended brands have what I want (outdoor, WiFi, audio).

For your previous reply, I have a power outlet already right next to where I want to mount it outside with a outdoor covered lock box around the outlet. Running cat5/6 would be a massive amount of work, and I simply don't have the time or desire (I had a newborn). As it is my WiFi cams have been working amazing in the house for the last 3+ years, and they are only a few feet (inside) from where the outdoor one would be mounted.

I understand that it may not be what people on this forum recommend (rightly so), but sometimes it's the best solution. Just trying to find something that works in my situation.

It's unfortunate that it's easily filled by proprietary solutions (like Nest, Arlo, Reolink etc.), but very difficult to find non-cloud solutions for this. At the moment, sadly, Reolink remains my best option.
Hi Automaton,

How important is the audio requirement vs. quality of camera?

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
If you can do without audio, I'd recommend this one, with a 3.6mm lens.
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/5601
You can get it by contacting:
EmpireTech Andy
Any reason why 3.6mm instead of 2.8mm?

Also that one appears similar to this one, but this one is 3MP - Dahua IPC HFW2325S W 3MP IR50M IP67 built in WIFI SD Card slot Network outdoor WIFI Camera replace IPC HFW1320S W IP Camera-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group not sure what the difference is to be honest.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Because 2.8mm is too wide to do much good to be able to id someone.
The 3mp one will be worse after dark. More pixels require more light. And the one I recommended will put less strain on your wifi network.
Do what you want, you've been given many options.

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
Because 2.8mm is too wide to do much good to be able to id someone.
The 3mp one will be worse after dark. More pixels require more light. And the one I recommended will put less strain on your wifi network.
Do what you want, you've been given many options.
Yes, many options. Thanks for the reply and information.