Alternative Live View App

AGPharmD

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 14 camera setup running under BI at my company, a residential psych program. I have the live view mirroring to a monitor in our main office so staff can monitor the building while also being unable to tinker with things. Some cameras are displayed larger than others based on their importance and arranged in an organized fashion based on location.

The fact of the matter is Blue Iris’ layout tool is atrocious. For such a customizable program it’s a shame the layout tool is so hard to use and seemingly a bit limited. Maybe I am a dunce, but I have yet to really figure out how things work and results are unpredictable. I hope this is improved in the next version.

I’m considering running a second computer for displaying the live view instead- either a VMS not set to record or a viewing specific app. At least until BI has a better system for designing layouts.

Two questions:

1) Does anyone have any suggestions on a free or inexpensive app that allows for a good amount of layout customization

2) Is it preferable to use one of the camera’s feeds (ie main or substream- I have some cameras that allow 3+ streams) or to use the RTSP feeds from BI? If I use the mainstream from a camera to BI and a second program, will that cause any issues?

Thanks for your help!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the live view mirroring to a monitor in our main office so staff can monitor the building while also being unable to tinker with things

I’m considering running a second computer for displaying the live view instead- either a VMS not set to record or a viewing specific app.
By "live view" in both of the above do you mean the BI console or the web server UI3?

What BI version?

AGPharmD

n3wb
Reaction score
By "live view" in both of the above do you mean the BI console or the web server UI3?

What BI version?
BI console - Version 5.

For some reason I found V4 more intuitive than V5.

I really wish they had a tool “draw out”templates so to speak, then add cameras to the template. There has to be a better way than what they’re doing now.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you could move every camera into an individual desktop frame and move them all around and resize them independently of each other. Not sure if the layout will persist between BI crashes though.