Alternative BI

belth

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
Ive been using BI for about 2 years now and never got rid of the stuttering playback, so im ready to try something new.
Im not in the need of AI anymore since i run all person detection on my cameras, having dual stream recordings and mobile app is a must, operating system doesnt matter.
Can anyone recomend an alternative?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Stuttering playback is an issue with your system and would likely be replicated in another VMS. It could be the computer or your network.

Are your cameras going thru the router or have you isolated them via dual NIC or VLAN?

What computer (i number and processor number) do you have?

belth

n3wb
Reaction score
Stuttering playback is an issue with your system and would likely be replicated in another VMS. It could be the computer or your network.

Are your cameras going thru the router or have you isolated them via dual NIC or VLAN?

What computer (i number and processor number) do you have?
Since i began using BI i have literally replaced all hardware, right now I'm running on an i5 10400, 16gb ram, isolated network with dual nic, been testing with various different cables.
I've asked for help here before and you were also giving advice back then, I appreciate it, thanks, but I'm gonna try something else.
Here is my old thread:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If the playback video stutters, it's possible the hard drive isnt able to play it back while recording.
Playback back only concerns your hardware setup.
If you are recording to a Network drive, NAS can stutter on playback as it depends on Network hardware. network congestion, etc. If your using 4TB WD RED drives or WD blue drives 6TB and smaller, they use a slower SMR technology that fucks up playback.

not likely the software. unless you have some strange settings turned on in B I.
I had problems with that on my i7-3770 machine. until i removed a WD blue desktop hard drive and used a WD surveillance drive. That Blue drive was trouble in what ever machine I tried it in.
It works, but when retrieving data it lags...and has delays.
Where is your VIDEO stored?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
It doesnt matter how the Cameras are connected.
What matters is the path of playback for recorded video.

belth

n3wb
Reaction score
If the playback video stutters, it's possible the hard drive isnt able to play it back while recording.
Playback back only concerns your hardware setup.
If you are recording to a Network drive, NAS can stutter on playback as it depends on Network hardware. network congestion, etc. If your using 4TB WD RED drives or WD blue drives 6TB and smaller, they use a slower SMR technology that fucks up playback.

not likely the software. unless you have some strange settings turned on in B I.
I had problems with that on my i7-3770 machine. until i removed a WD blue desktop hard drive and used a WD surveillance drive. That Blue drive was trouble in what ever machine I tried it in.
It works, but when retrieving data it lags...and has delays.
Where is your VIDEO stored?
Samsung 840 pro ssd

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
Ive been using BI for about 2 years now and never got rid of the stuttering playback, so im ready to try something new.
Im not in the need of AI anymore since i run all person detection on my cameras, having dual stream recordings and mobile app is a must, operating system doesnt matter.
Can anyone recomend an alternative?
BI and storage folders should be excluded from antivirus.

belth

n3wb
Reaction score
BI and storage folders should be excluded from antivirus.
My anti virus is disabled.
I have followed all steps in this guide:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
samsung 840 pro? is that BI? Is your video drive seperate from your Windows drive?
Windows should be on Samsung 840, and video on seperate hard drive.'
There isn't a clear picture of your current layout.
Most everybody this is having a normal experience is using 2 drives.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My anti virus is disabled.
I have followed all steps in this guide:
Which specific steps did you follow? for example, you should not be using limit decoding. If you are using intel HA you should be using intel and not intel with vpp. You can try disabling HA entirely to see if it resolves you issue.

belth

n3wb
Reaction score
samsung 840 pro? is that BI? Is your video drive seperate from your Windows drive?
Windows should be on Samsung 840, and video on seperate hard drive.'
There isn't a clear picture of your current layout.
Most everybody this is having a normal experience is using 2 drives.
Windows is running on a kingston A400 SSD m.2 disk, clips is stored local and everything else on the samsung SSD
i will try to move clips to samsung SSD also, but i'm not going to be home for another week, so i'm not able to give feedback before that.

belth

n3wb
Reaction score
Which specific steps did you follow? for example, you should not be using limit decoding. If you are using intel HA you should be using intel and not intel with vpp. You can try disabling HA entirely to see if it resolves you issue.
Iam not using limit decoding, but iam using intel with vpp(i think i've tested it without but i will try again) ill try troubleshoot without HA also, but it will be a week or so before i can give feedback

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

CrazyAsYou

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Check the SSD Firmware, the Evo 840 series ist about 10 years old and the controller was quite buggy:

After a firmware update, I would also check the health of the drive (within Samsung Magician), you only get so many writes to an SSD before there starts to be issues. Could be you have excessive wear on some of the cells, SSD and CCTV recording is not normally a good combo due to 24/7 writing.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
@CrazyAsYou @spuls You likely have solved the mystery.
I have only Spinners as video storage and SSD as OS C:\ windows drives.
Im sure ssd's work ( for awhile) and I know some people are doing this, but If there is an issue with recorded video, thats one of the first places you gotta look.

belth

n3wb
Reaction score
I will try swapping the disk, but would a faulty disk also affect my live view?
Also, thanks for the inputs everyone

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will try swapping the disk, but would a faulty disk also affect my live view?
Also, thanks for the inputs everyone
Yes, we have seen faulty disks drive up CPU usage and that can impact live view if it is pinging out at 100% like we have seen some experience.