ALPR capabilities of IRLZF1050?

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has experience with the ALPR capabilities of the ITC237-PW6M-IRLZF1050? I'm currently running a Z12E using about 90 percent (1140) of the zoom, but might be able to get by with the 50mm zoom in the IRLZF1050 if the ALPR was generally functional. I've seen other reviews of Dahua's ALPR functionality in other camera models on this forum that were less than stellar, so I'm not getting my hopes up. If it's not worth it, I'd be just as happy keeping my Z12E and running OpenALPR on my network with an older gaming laptop that I can repurpose.

foxden

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has experience with the ALPR capabilities of the ITC237-PW6M-IRLZF1050? I'm currently running a Z12E using about 90 percent (1140) of the zoom, but might be able to get by with the 50mm zoom in the IRLZF1050 if the ALPR was generally functional. I've seen other reviews of Dahua's ALPR functionality in other camera models on this forum that were less than stellar, so I'm not getting my hopes up. If it's not worth it, I'd be just as happy keeping my Z12E and running OpenALPR on my network with an older gaming laptop that I can repurpose.
Yes, what questions do you have?

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I haven't owned a Dahua ALPR cam before so I was just curious how accurate and reliable the plate reads are, whether you can search for plates in the web GUI, or if there are any comparisons to OpenALPR. There's a Dahua ALPR training webinar on Youtube but it wasn't clear to me if they were using the parking lot enter/exit feature, or if that is something separate. I basically just want to record plates of the cars that drive in front of my house and have some ability to search for them using a partial plate number.

foxden

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I haven't owned a Dahua ALPR cam before so I was just curious how accurate and reliable the plate reads are, whether you can search for plates in the web GUI, or if there are any comparisons to OpenALPR. There's a Dahua ALPR training webinar on Youtube but it wasn't clear to me if they were using the parking lot enter/exit feature, or if that is something separate. I basically just want to record plates of the cars that drive in front of my house and have some ability to search for them using a partial plate number.
The recognition quality is about 99%, there were cases when I could hardly make out the number with my eyes in the picture, but the camera accurately determined it. The camera recognizes license plates of vehicles traveling up to 80 kph (49 mph). The camera can be mounted between 8 m and 30 m (26.25 ft and 98.43 ft) from where the vehicles will be traveling and captures and recognizes plates from a single lane. If an sd card is installed, then pictures of cars and their numbers are saved on it and you can always view them via the web interface. You can search by vehicle number or make. You can also put DSS Express on your computer, it is free and see everything in real time, maintain a database of images and vehicles.
At the top of the picture there is information about the number, color and make of the car. It is about 20 meters from the camera to the place where the license plate number was determined.

2021-04-28_17-34-44.pngANPR-34-B421KO799.jpgANPR-23-B158MA99.jpgANPR-06-P189XO799.jpg

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The recognition quality is about 99%, there were cases when I could hardly make out the number with my eyes in the picture, but the camera accurately determined it. The camera recognizes license plates of vehicles traveling up to 80 kph (49 mph). The camera can be mounted between 8 m and 30 m (26.25 ft and 98.43 ft) from where the vehicles will be traveling and captures and recognizes plates from a single lane. If an sd card is installed, then pictures of cars and their numbers are saved on it and you can always view them via the web interface. You can search by vehicle number or make. You can also put DSS Express on your computer, it is free and see everything in real time, maintain a database of images and vehicles.
At the top of the picture there is information about the number, color and make of the car. It is about 20 meters from the camera to the place where the license plate number was determined.

View attachment 88043View attachment 88044View attachment 88045View attachment 88046
That's an incredibly helpful reply, thanks so much. It looks like you are outside of North America given the shape and style of the plates you're getting. I wonder how the firmware works in the United States. I would have to assume that it varies by state. The most recent dual sensor PTZ camera review that was posted indicated that ALPR wasn't compatible with the U.S. yet. I guess I'll ask Andy about that.

My capture point would be right at 88 feet, so I might be pushing it (but maybe not). Thanks again.

foxden

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I am from Russia and this is the European standard of numbers used on the continent :) In my firmware there are recognition algorithms for 3 types of numbers. There is a firmware for America only. The cameras sold there are already adapted to your market. Dahua's ITC215 / 237 camera models are the same for all regions, the only differences are in the firmware, which is interchangeable :)

2021-04-28_21-37-20.png

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Billyjack5 I'm about to review this cam against NA plates so if interested feel free to follow along as I test this one out.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Billyjack5 I'm about to review this cam against NA plates so if interested feel free to follow along as I test this one out.
Looking forward to it, thanks. Openalpr is working pretty good for me now so I'm curious how the Dahua FW works for the variations of US plates.

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking forward to it, thanks. Openalpr is working pretty good for me now so I'm curious how the Dahua FW works for the variations of US plates.
I've used both - Open ALPR is hands down better than the Dahua ALPR function as of a few months ago when I last tested. The built in dahua may have gotten better, I have not tested lately. OpenALPR is outstanding.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Check out the ITC review I put up, the on-camera processing of that cam really is extremely good as it uses embedded plate algorithms.