Allow remote access from specific IP addresses to a Hikvision camera

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have read:
Allow any remote access down to specific static IP address or IP address range. This is a very easy way of making your system safer. Allowing access to only pre-specified IP addresses means only incoming requests from a predefined destination IP address are allowed. By adding these IP ranges to your router/firewall you will automatically allow access from a remote access request with an origin outside of the specified IP address range.

In the ivms-4200 my camera have this option: Configuration > Advance Configuration > Security > IP Address Filter

As the extern ip change it would be fine if I can use an ip address range (184.0.0.0-184.999.999.999) where 184 cover my internet provider. I must of course do the same on the Remote side. Is this possible or is the context (184...) or simular? The Hikvision manuals has very poor explanation on this matter.

Is an alternativ to do this job in the router (inteno)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have read:
Allow any remote access down to specific static IP address or IP address range. This is a very easy way of making your system safer. Allowing access to only pre-specified IP addresses means only incoming requests from a predefined destination IP address are allowed. By adding these IP ranges to your router/firewall you will automatically allow access from a remote access request with an origin outside of the specified IP address range.

In the ivms-4200 my camera have this option: Configuration > Advance Configuration > Security > IP Address Filter

As the extern ip change it would be fine if I can use an ip address range (184.0.0.0-184.999.999.999) where 184 cover my internet provider. I must of course do the same on the Remote side. Is this possible or is the context (184...) or simular? The Hikvision manuals has very poor explanation on this matter.

Is an alternativ to do this job in the router (inteno)?
no, its not secure. Use a vpn.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have Expressvpn but sorry to say it could not be used in my case. I have an inteno router today and was asked to buy a vpnrouter compatible one like asus 68u so I did, but after several contact with Expressvpn support it is established as a fact that their routervpn solution would not work in my case. I will of course work on my home router, but not give access to the camera on the Remote router. (I have to use port open and close the remote vpnrouter when contacting the camera). The traffic between my home computer and the camera don't bother me, but I am looking for better Security on the Remote router and spesially the camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have Expressvpn but sorry to say it could not be used in my case. I have an inteno router today and was asked to buy a vpnrouter compatible one like asus 68u so I did, but after several contact with Expressvpn support it is established as a fact that their routervpn solution would not work in my case. I will of course work on my home router, but not give access to the camera on the Remote router. (I have to use port open and close the remote vpnrouter when contacting the camera). The traffic between my home computer and the camera don't bother me, but I am looking for better Security on the Remote router and spesially the camera.
as noted the other thread you posted, expressvpn is useless. STOP paying them. Use the FREE built in openVPN in the asus router. READ the links provided to you in the other thread.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you, but I can't find any links in my other threads or in this one. I will be very happy if you can repost it.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Superb, Fenderman. Thank you very much. I shall investigate my asus as soon as possible.
Regards,
llarsx

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hallo,
Just these two question: Reading the stuff I must ask about the term server and Client in OpenVPN on Asus. My Remote asus router should hopefully be running 24 hours per day and my home router also 24 hours per day, but my home computer which I am using to reach the camera on the remote location will be on air only a few hours a day.

Should the server be on the remote location (With camera) and the Client at home or reverse?
As I am at home now and travel very soon to the remote place, I am thinking of setting up the OpenVPN on my home asus first or should I do the remote first if that is the server?

And of course I would like to test the connection before I leave the Remote Place. I Wonder if it is possible to do such test on my mobil using the public mobil network?

Last edited:

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry for my last post. I have learned that I must have the vpn server on the remote router and it is not necessary to have a vpn Client at the home router, but could have. I have to travel to the remote place and do the config of the vpn server on the asus there locally.

I also found it nice that Asus have their own ddns, ASUS DDNS. It is free and then I can close my No-IP account.