All about Hubitat Elevation Home Automation Hub

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hubitat Elevation (HE) is a hub that is not cloud dependance so it will run local without any internet access. You will only need internet access if you want to be able to remotely control your devices at home otherwise you can automatic your home devices without it.
I checked out the HE website, it appears you need to create an account and register your HE device first, is this correct? In order to add a device and create automations, do you need to be logged into your HE website account? The reason I ask, if they go out of business, can you still add, modify, delete devices and automations? Thx

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I checked out the HE website, it appears you need to create an account and register your HE device first, is this correct? In order to add a device and create automations, do you need to be logged into your HE website account? The reason I ask, if they go out of business, can you still add, modify, delete devices and automations? Thx
As far I know, you still can do those things without internet access as long you know the hub local ip address to access it locally but it is a good question and I would ask this question on the hubitat community forum.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As far I know, you still can do those things without internet access as long you know the hub local ip address to access it locally but it is a good question and I would ask this question on the hubitat community forum.
Thanks, I'm a HA user, but thought I'd ask to add to this thread about Hubitat. Not planing to dump HA, but good to see additional options.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm a HA user, but thought I'd ask to add to this thread about Hubitat. Not planing to dump HA, but good to see additional options.
I was formally a HA user before I decided to switch to Hubitat. Don't get me worng, I like HA and it is an awesome hub but the Hubitat had more custom drivers for my devices and custom apps for my needs.

One custom driver was a Sage Door bell sensor, it wasn't available when I was using HA however someone mentioned to me in the HA chat room that Sage driver was ported over to HA. I already had my Hubitat up and running.

The custom app I needed was momentary switches app for a custom project I am building which still not available on HA.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great news for ActionTile Users:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Great news for ActionTile Users:

Cool

And I still haven't switch my hub over to C7 yet .. still sitting there collecting dust (I pre-ordered) LOL !!!!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cool

And I still haven't switch my hub over to C7 yet .. still sitting there collecting dust (I pre-ordered) LOL !!!!
So I jumped on the $115 sale they had for Memorial Day. I had a C5 and bought their C7, only thing I think is different is the Z-Wave version, 500 and 700, that 700 is a stronger signal...Maybe there is more. Anyway, figured I would take advantage of their sale. So I have ActionTiles as an App with the latest version of Hubitat but I cannot login, complete the setup, I missed the Beta testing so I will have to wait for the release, which should be soon, Alex mentioned he had a few things to iron out before final release. Reading the ActionTile Beta Forum everyone seemed happy with the port to Hubitat. I am excited to move fully away from SmartThings...ActionTiles was one of my main reason I haven't.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
So I jumped on the $115 sale they had for Memorial Day. I had a C5 and bought their C7, only thing I think is different is the Z-Wave version, 500 and 700, that 700 is a stronger signal...Maybe there is more. Anyway, figured I would take advantage of their sale. So I have ActionTiles as an App with the latest version of Hubitat but I cannot login, complete the setup, I missed the Beta testing so I will have to wait for the release, which should be soon, Alex mentioned he had a few things to iron out before final release. Reading the ActionTile Beta Forum everyone seemed happy with the port to Hubitat. I am excited to move fully away from SmartThings...ActionTiles was one of my main reason I haven't.

Yes, it's the Zwave chipset that is different between C5 and C7 while everything else is the same.

The Zwave 700 is also known as Z-Wave Plus LR which is Long range. It supposedly have a range up to one mile in line of sight and support up to 4,000 nodes.

However, there is almost no devices out there using the LD feature of 700 chipset .............. yet ........... Most newer devices on market are using the new security encryption on the 700 that are faster than the one on the old 500 chipset.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, it's the Zwave chipset that is different between C5 and C7 while everything else is the same.

The Zwave 700 is also known as Z-Wave Plus LR which is Long range. It supposedly have a range up to one mile in line of sight and support up to 4,000 nodes.

However, there is almost no devices out there using the LD feature of 700 chipset .............. yet ........... Most newer devices on market are using the new security encryption on the 700 that are faster than the one on the old 500 chipset.
Kewl...thanks for the info. I am moving my Schlage Door Locks next, they had problems connecting to SmartThings Hub, I had to physically bring the hub to them in order for them to connect. Strangely, after they connected they have stayed connected. They are less than 30 feet from the hub...Hub being in the middle of our house, midway from Front Door to Back Door...also have a Garage Door too with a Schlage in that range. One thing I like about these locks is that they are not WiFi and do not have a motor in them to open/close them. So they cannot be hacked via WiFi remotely...They only report/notify if they are open/closed, their battery life and what code was used via Z-Wave. Sure, someone could guess our codes but they will be welcomed with our Alarm System. Took me along time to agree to these locks instead of a key, which these locks also have a key entry too. I installed these on Front and Back Doors, Door Strike, I am old school, use hand tools, not powered, hand screwing in those 3 inch screws were fun, even with pilot holes. It will not be easy for someone to kick in our doors, we hope :)

1623268055412.png

I did read it seems hit or miss with Schlage Locks on the Hubitat Hub, we will see soon.

Attachments

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Kewl...thanks for the info. I am moving my Schlage Door Locks next, they had problems connecting to SmartThings Hub, I had to physically bring the hub to them in order for them to connect. Strangely, after they connected they have stayed connected. They are less than 30 feet from the hub...Hub being in the middle of our house, midway from Front Door to Back Door...also have a Garage Door too with a Schlage in that range. One thing I like about these locks is that they are not WiFi and do not have a motor in them to open/close them. So they cannot be hacked via WiFi remotely...They only report/notify if they are open/closed, their battery life and what code was used via Z-Wave. Sure, someone could guess our codes but they will be welcomed with our Alarm System. Took me along time to agree to these locks instead of a key, which these locks also have a key entry too. I installed these on Front and Back Doors, Door Strike, I am old school, use hand tools, not powered, hand screwing in those 3 inch screws were fun, even with pilot holes. It will not be easy for someone to kick in our doors, we hope :)

View attachment 91838

I did read it seems hit or miss with Schlage Locks on the Hubitat Hub, we will see soon.

This is the door jam plate I have on all my three exterior door. I use Kwikset lock which two is a Zigbee and one is a Zwave. What nice about the Kwikset locks is that the module board interchangable. You can take out a zwave module and put in a zigbee etc.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is the door jam plate I have on all my three exterior door. I use Kwikset lock which two is a Zigbee and one is a Zwave. What nice about the Kwikset locks is that the module board interchangable. You can take out a zwave module and put in a zigbee etc.
I would of bought Kwikset but crazy story, my son-in-law bought a house and found an extra Schlage Lock, it was worn, so he gave it to me. So I put some batteries in and it worked, I took it to Home Depot to see if they could make a key for it, they could not so I ended up calling Schlage to see about getting a Master key, but since I did not have the original key code they said they would send me a new lock, which they did, free. So now I had two free locks, I ended up buying one for our Garage Door and took all three to a Locksmith and had them rekeyed with one of the new Master keys. All three locks cost me, with Locksmith, around $150.