Alibaba NVR

riceandbeans

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anybody used this? Forgive me if I'm duplicating; couldn't find another post.

Looks incredibly sketchy, doesn't support motion detection (yet - ha, we'll see if that ever happens), and is probably riddled with security holes; but it's $30 and consumes < 10W, sans hard drive. Looks like it accepts SATA and/or USB for storage and can be run headless. Might be a great BI replacement where power consumption, cost, and complexity are priorities. I think the market will eventually move to a GPU accelerated SoC solution for residential and small business.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody used this? Forgive me if I'm duplicating; couldn't find another post.

Looks incredibly sketchy, doesn't support motion detection (yet - ha, we'll see if that ever happens), and is probably riddled with security holes; but it's $30 and consumes < 10W, sans hard drive. Looks like it accepts SATA and/or USB for storage and can be run headless. Might be a great BI replacement where power consumption, cost, and complexity are priorities. I think the market will eventually move to a GPU accelerated SoC solution for residential and small business.
Those are junk and are best used a possibly a backup or to display cams on a tv...
If you want to use a standalone NVR then get a name brand.
PC based nvr use more power but only about 30-50w total if you are using an efficient system, as such power consumption should not be a big priority, rather whether the device/software has the functions and features you want.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have one I used for displaying 4 cameras on a 1080p TV, worked pretty well for that.. but its never saved a video nor would I trust that lil thing to do so reliably.

its been retired now, in favor of using a Raspberry Pi's HDMI output

riceandbeans

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks - has anybody had experience actually writing data via usb and/or sata? I personally use blue iris right now, but for something that doesn't take the power, noise, and cost of an i7 machine I think this could be a reasonable substitute in a less than mission critical application. You could even stack two of these on the same network and pull from the same RSTP streams as redundancy if your feet got cold and come out ahead of the cost of a BI rig.