Alexa compatibly for Dahua NVR

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi, I am Looking to purchase a 6 camera system for someone, but they want it to be Alexa compatible and Apple TV etc etc like everything else in there house. They mentioned that the Lorex systems are Alexa compatible but I prefer to buy 6 5442 cams And a 5416 NVR from Andy as I don’t like the Lorex 4K systems because of there bad sensors. My question is can Andy’s NVR’s connect to Alexa like the Lorex systems do? Sorry but I don’t much about this Alexa stuff.
0D5E3754-F185-4507-8BD0-38B890CD3FE5.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I am Looking to purchase a 6 camera system for someone, but they want it to be Alexa compatible and Apple TV etc etc like everything else in there house. They mentioned that the Lorex systems are Alexa compatible but I prefer to buy 6 5442 cams And a 5416 NVR from Andy as I don’t like the Lorex 4K systems because of there bad sensors. My question is can Andy’s NVR’s connect to Alexa like the Lorex systems do? Sorry but I don’t much about this Alexa stuff.
View attachment 124983
Hi @dudemaar

SmartHome tech: I would look to get a PC running Blue Iris and see what you can do to get it to work with Alexa and any smarthome specs. As it is running on a PC there probably are a number of options you can look at.

NVRs are lower power processor systems and due to the limited system resources should not allow you as much flexibility as a complete PC running a newer Windows OS

In general, I don't worry about the smart home tech when it comes to my core ip security camera system - I want that system protected from failure and internet attacks and getting the best images possible.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi mat200, thanks for your reply. I understand where your coming from as I have blue iris myself with cameras isolated from the internet but they are older couple and I don’t think they will be messing around with blue iris. What makes the Lorex NVR any different from Andy’s for Alexa compatible? Basically I am professionally installing the 6 cameras, connecting them to the Poe ports on the NVR and the rest is up to them. Apparently there son is tecky so he will be doing the rest.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My NVR is older and I do not use Alexa, so I cannot speak to that but hopefully someone else will chime in.

A quick search here shows nobody using Alex with the Dahua NVR, but some that are have hacked a way to do it with other devices.

If Dahua NVR doesn't support it, it wouldn't surprise me as they are intended for a commercial audience and we just happen to be able to get our hands on them.

Lorex on the other hand, while Dahua OEM, caters to the consumer market and as such could have modified their firmware to allow Alexa capability.

If Dahua NVR doesn't have that capability, you could always purchase the Lorex NVR as a stand-alone and then buy cameras from Andy to get the better sensors.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks to both you guys for your quick replies. I’m thinking the Lorex NVR is a great option. But i am going to mention blue iris on a separate computer as well. Maybe there son is tecky enough to get blue iris up and running and on there home automation setup. I just recently switched over to blue iris myself and just don’t have the confidence yet to do this for them, as I am still learning the software myself.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a couple of Imou Alexa ready ip cameras, (Dahua counterpart for home ecosystem). What you will basically get is displaying the camera through a monitor, calling up with your voice. In my case, I’m using an echo show (could use an stick as well). IMO, the process is quite slow for displaying each camera (takes several seconds while calling each camera name individually). Each camera will need to be located within the same network as the Alexa, not allowing to use the poe switch of the nvr. I ended disconnecting my echo show.