Alerts not sent, but clip shows trigger

plomaris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’ve just started trying to send out push alerts when motion is detected on one of my cameras. I’ve configured everything based on instructions and research I’ve done on Google and IP Cam Talk. It seems that some alerts are sent, others are not. I noticed last night an obvious motion situation did not trigger an alert. When I ran it through playback with “Test run video through motion sensor” checked, I could see the orange box which I believe tells me that the camera is triggered and an alert should be sent. Motion earlier in the day was properly triggered and a push alert sent.

Camera is a Hikvision DS-2CDxxxx RTSP, with Main and Sub both set for 15fps and it's set for continuous recording.

It was my understanding that an Orange box denotes a triggered situation and an alert should have been sent, but was not. While playing back the video, the orange box appears a few times, so I’m not sure why it did not work. Do I need to turn off substream to make the detection work on the higher resolution video?

Settings attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you ever solve this problem? I'm having the exact same issue.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try turning off object detection for starters....that should only be used when trying to knock out false triggers...meaning you tried other avenues first and this is the last resort.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The problem seems to be at random. Last night no alerts but this morning they're working fine (with object detection on). Another thing I found when playing back the scenes from last night is that the motion was triggered on the video, BUT the trigger indicator (orange vertical line) does not appear in the timeline. It's as if the trigger is not being triggered ;-). Does this provide any more clues as to what's gong on?

1614518897495.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At night it is darker, so the object detection of moving 100 pixels is harder to distinguish than during the day...

Regarding the orange trigger for alerts, have you selected "Create Alert list Images when triggered" because that is how the alert is shown in the timeline?

You may need to run a compact/repair of the DB. Also, what is your alerts set to under Blue Iris settings - clips and archiving?

Have you deleted or regenerated the DB - you will lose all alerts for the past when doing so.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, the clip that I attached was from nighttime but it's a porch that's lit up and never had any issues at that location.

The vertical orange trigger lines do appear at other times in the same timeline.
I can't find "Create Alert list images when triggered." Did that change to "When triggered, Add to alerts list: _"? If so, I have "Database only" selected:

1614531842622.png

This is what I have under Blue Iris Settings > Clips and Archiving:

1614531800590.png

I have not deleted or regenerated the DB. I originally installed v5.3.9.10 a few days ago but it was crashing so I downgraded back to 5.3.8.17.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It may have a porch light, but it can still be an issue. I would suggest turning off the object detection, even if just for the night profile if you have a day and night profile set.

You are set to a very small field of view and that contributes to BI having trouble with identifying, especially something fast moving. You can see how much blue and orange blocks you have there which indicates that it is trying to make out the object. What is your shutter, FPS and I-frames on that camera - this probably need to be dialed in to allow BI motion detection to work more accurately.

I have been running BI for years and recently noticed while watching it live for an extended period that for my license plate camera (which is zoomed in tight to the road to read plates), I watched it not trigger for a big ole yellow school bus, but then trigger for a tiny 2-door car the next minute and then miss the same car coming back 5 minutes later! Sometimes we are unaware of issues unless we spend a fair amount of time watching it live under every scenario...or maybe it was just the time of day that this was happening.

For this plate camera, I was running a fast shutter to capture plates, but also had the FPS at 20 FPS thinking that would be better. When I knocked it down to 10 FPS, Blue Iris motion started capturing that bus and other vehicles it was missing. I think the motion algorithm for a tight field of view was having difficulty with the faster FPS.

So I would try on that camera to lower the FPS and also make sure your i-frame matches the FPS.

Are you running substream option to reduce CPU - if so, make sure the FPS and iframe matches the mainstream.

Alerts looks ok, but if you have storage beyond 7 days, then the alert triggers in the timeline will disappear. Best to try to match that to the amount of time your system holds video until it starts writing over.

You may also need to do a compact/repair of the database - many have had issues recently with updates and that fixed a lot of issues.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the input. Here are the numbers: Shutter: 1/30, Frame Rate 15 fps, iframe interval: 15. I will try making the adjustments that you suggested.

One more question: When the recorded clip is played back on the timeline, it shows that the scene was triggered (with the "Test run video through motion sensor" was turned on). During playback, does the motion sensor/trigger replicate how it behaved when the scene was live? I'm wondering if it might be more sensitive when it's applied to the recorded video vs. when it's live?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully it helps.

They should be the same, but I have seen with tight scenes that I try to watch it live showing the blocks and then watching back and they were different, so it could very well be an issue recorded versus live. Especially on faster moving objects live a vehicle or a pet like in your image above.