Alerts - AT&T MMS Alerts specificly

kc8tmv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have had AT&T MMS alerts working great for 2 years now, but all of a sudden, they seem to be be "broken". Let me explain. I had several alerts triggered last night (raccoons, deer, etc.) that I can see in the Admin interface and can even see in the log file that it "says" alert was sent to my phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx@mms.att.net. But I did not see anything on my phone this morning. Asked a few friends to txt me and had no issue.
Then for some reason, I got about 1/2 my alerts from last night all at once! But not all, and triggering an alert myself, I am not getting them again. I even used above as send from Outlook and txt.att.net works, but mms.att.net does not.

1. Does anyone else use AT&T MMS alerts? If so, are you having any issues?
2. Has anyone have any thoughts on this subject? I am kind of annoyed!

Thanks!
-Steve

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have had AT&T MMS alerts working great for 2 years now, but all of a sudden, they seem to be be "broken". Let me explain. I had several alerts triggered last night (raccoons, deer, etc.) that I can see in the Admin interface and can even see in the log file that it "says" alert was sent to my phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx@mms.att.net. But I did not see anything on my phone this morning. Asked a few friends to txt me and had no issue.
Then for some reason, I got about 1/2 my alerts from last night all at once! But not all, and triggering an alert myself, I am not getting them again. I even used above as send from Outlook and txt.att.net works, but mms.att.net does not.

Thanks!
-Steve
Use the blue iris mobile app push notifications are faster and better than text.

kc8tmv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had thought about the mobile app but I thought I had heard somewhere that it (especially iOS) was not being supported.

Was that just “fake news”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had thought about the mobile app but I thought I had heard somewhere that it (especially iOS) was not being supported.

Was that just “fake news”?

yes fake news..the mobile app is one of the best features of bi fully supported and updated regularly, and the ios version is actually nicer than android.

kc8tmv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fenderman, Thanks! As always, quick with an answer and always keeping us headed in the right direction!
Now you know I will end up asking a stupid question once I download the app!
-Steve

Shane01638

n3wb
Reaction score

Thanks!
-Steve
I noticed the same thing. It’s not working for me anymore either.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks!
-Steve
I use 10digit-cell-number@txt.att.net with zero issues.
You can use your regular email to try it also.

BI_SMS-text.jpg

kc8tmv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I took fenderman’s suggestion and I am now using the app. I wish I would have done this a long time ago. Much better!

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Thanks!
-Steve
Hey Steve and Shane, blame Yahoo here, who has screwed the pooch on this one. You likely have a legacy email account (@att.net, @bellsouth.net, @SBCGlobal.net, etc.) Due to maintenance upgrading the legacy servers, (Yahoo) servers were experiencing problems, and they have changed and/or are changing the server address from pop3 to imap back and forth without any consistency, and changing the port assignment. When this happens, the outgoing SMTP email address you assigned in the server built into BI will stop working. Also, third party clients (Outlook) will also stop working. They have also been experiencing SSL certificate mismatch errors. You won't see the problem using webmail. Weird thing is they now have it configured on the original server addresses and ports. Go figure . . .

You could assign a different email account within BI, or just listen to the Fenderman :)

kc8tmv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In my case I was not getting the mms message on my phone. I could have it send email and that worked, but was not what I wanted. Now using the BI app and I am a happy camper.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In my case I was not getting the mms message on my phone. I could have it send email and that worked, but was not what I wanted. Now using the BI app and I am a happy camper.

Good! Those are likely "push notifications" then.

Tom Lorek

n3wb
Reaction score
I switched over to push notifications today for the same reason, but didn’t turn off text messaging. Just received about 50 legacy texts from earlier today...have now turned off text messaging for good!!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Whatever works best for you I say.

I've been using AT&T's simple text (10digitcell@txt.att.net) with no attached image or clip (SMS) as opposed to MMS (can attach clip or image) and it has worked hundreds of times over 4 years without a glitch and I received them with 5 seconds of the event....very fast and very reliable.

Had I attempted to use AT&T's MMS (10digitcell@mms.att.net) and attached a clip or image I may have been in the same malfunction stew, I can't say.

Good to hear that push to the app floats your boat.

kc8tmv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just got all my “missing” mms messages also!
Had to have all been sitting somewhere together and then the dam broke and let them flow.

I am sticking with the BI app, but would be nice to know what happened and be able to use it if necessary.