Alarm I/O and Audio IN, changing the color

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ordered the IPC-Color4K-X, came in like a day, crazy fast shipping. Thanks Andy!

This is my first cam and I have a few questions for you guys. I can't seem to find info regarding this in the wiki or google or maybe my google fu is weak.

I've got a set of wires I can't find any information on.
1. Are there any interesting uses for the alarm I/O wires?
2. do I need to attach the "Audio Input" to be able to record sound?
3. I assume the audio out would be if I wanted to attach a separate speaker outside?

I'm going to start running cables soon so I need to plan for any additional cables I may need before I start.

**anyone know if the IPC-Color4K-X comes in black? Anyone painted these or put some type of "skin" on them to change the color? I figure they do it for cars, should be able to do it on cameras??

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is a great cam. Some answers:
  1. If you wanted a louder siren or attach it to another home automation system or add a PIR motion sensor, that sort of thing.
  2. Only if you add an external mic
  3. Yes if you wanted a louder speaker.
Unless you have specific use cases, the POE is all you need, but it you want to run extra cables for the what-if, now is the time LOL.

But this camera with just an ethernet cable will provide you with the camera video, ability to hear and talk, and play alarms.

It does not come in black. Black is not a big seller. People paint them all the time and some have put a type of removable skin as well.

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks brother.

For clarification, the "Audio Input" is for a mic but a regular ethernet cable connected to the RJ45 plug will handle two-way audio?

So is the Audio Input cable if you dont use ethernet for power and use the regular 12V DC power cable?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The ethernet cable will carry the audio and video.

The audio input cable is only needed if you add an external mic.

You can use the 12V DC power cable and internal camera audio video will still go over the ethernet cable. At that point the ethernet cable is only video and audio and not power also.

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
ok, that makes sense. I popped the panel off the IPC-Color4K-X , this appears to be a mic or a speaker or both?? I dont see any other grills so this probably does both. Doesnt looks like any speaker I have seen before though.

But this camera with just an ethernet cable will provide you with the camera video, ability to hear and talk, and play alarms.
So just attaching ethernet I will be able to capture audio and generate a siren as seen in Wildcat's video when he was testing this?

IMG_5276.JPG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, for the 4th time lol.

I have this camera with just an ethernet hooked to it and I see video and can talk and hear and play an audible siren through it. This does not have a visual siren though.

Benchtest inside to confirm it does before you install it outside LOL.

Last edited: