Alarm and security camera system

Overseer

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm evaluating the installation of an alarm system and a cctv camera system in my house.

As more than one professional told me, I can install two different, independent systems:
- an alarm system with motion sensors and door/window opening sensors, that triggers the sound of external sirens and the gsm phone composer to text and phone somebody including the police
- a security camera system with a number of cameras connected to a recorder. Motion detection by cameras triggers email or push notification via smartphone app so I can remotely connect and see what hexternaln cameras.

Since security cameras work also in the dark, via infrared, and detect motion by analyzing the images but also by using integrated supplemental motion sensors, I suppose it would be nice to use the cameras to trigger the alarm, i.e: when a camera detects motion, not only it triggers email with camera details, but also siren sound and gsm text/phone composing.
In a few words, it seems to me it would be intelligent to have a single system that uses cameras for motion detection, some door/window opening sensors, all connected to a single "brain" that does recording, email alert, gsm composing, sound the external sirens.

Is this possible? Does anybody know any system connected in this way?
Thanks in advance for any help! :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm evaluating the installation of an alarm system and a cctv camera system in my house.

As more than one professional told me, I can install two different, independent systems:
- an alarm system with motion sensors and door/window opening sensors, that triggers the sound of external sirens and the gsm phone composer to text and phone somebody including the police
- a security camera system with a number of cameras connected to a recorder. Motion detection by cameras triggers email or push notification via smartphone app so I can remotely connect and see what hexternaln cameras.

Since security cameras work also in the dark, via infrared, and detect motion by analyzing the images but also by using integrated supplemental motion sensors, I suppose it would be nice to use the cameras to trigger the alarm, i.e: when a camera detects motion, not only it triggers email with camera details, but also siren sound and gsm text/phone composing.
In a few words, it seems to me it would be intelligent to have a single system that uses cameras for motion detection, some door/window opening sensors, all connected to a single "brain" that does recording, email alert, gsm composing, sound the external sirens.

Is this possible? Does anybody know any system connected in this way?
Thanks in advance for any help! :)
Welcome to the forum. You cannot use the built in motion detection in security cameras to trigger an alarm. Technically you could, practically you cant. The motion detection in most cameras is mediocre at best and you will get false alerts. You cannot have many false alerts per day with an alarm system. Forget about integrating the systems. At best you can set the system to trigger recording if the alarm is triggered.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I believe in running two separate systems. With that being said, the alarm business is going more towards video verification before your call becomes top priority. This can be done two ways. You have an alarm system with an inside camera tied into it or you run two separate systems ( I prefer two separate systems cctv running Blue Iris) and verify that someone has broken in yourself for free. Adding video to your alarm monitoring increases your monthly fee.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep I have alarm customers that ask me about connected cams to alarm system, but I don't really like it. Most of the alarm cams are just rebranded anyways. All your doing is tying the ip camera into the alarm monitoring server anyways.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Same here. My monitored alarm system is separate from the cameras. If the alarm company notifies me that an alarm was triggered, I can use BI mobile to view the cameras. If there's anyone in or around the house I'll be able to see them, unless they're in the bathrooms that is. :D

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a neighbor that has the ATT security system. What a piece of trashola. It takes at least 2 to 3 min for them to be able to log into either of their 2 cameras!

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I agree that two separate systems is better as they do two different things.

Alarm system - This offers immediate protection/warning of a possible intrusion
Securty Camera - This offers detailed knowledge of events happening or that happened in and around you place.

This doesn't mean they should not work together, or at they could not share the top level of an App or program, just they should be independent parallel state machines so that one doesn't negative effect the other. sure they can pass pointers to each others data, but carefully.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
You can design your camera system to work like an alarm system fairly easy. Run your contacts, motion detectors, and pirs that would be normaly run into your alarm panel and run them into your alarm inputs on your dvr. Then set up your app to send push notifications when you get a signal. Use NC on your dvr settings.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can design your camera system to work like an alarm system fairly easy. Run your contacts, motion detectors, and pirs that would be normaly run into your alarm panel and run them into your alarm inputs on your dvr. Then set up your app to send push notifications when you get a signal. Use NC on your dvr settings.
Optex and Bosch sensors work great for solid exterior detection!