Airbnb bans the use of indoor security cameras....

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I can see the use of indoor cameras in certain indoor areas such as stairways and hallways where rooms or small apartments are rented to different people. Think more of a bed-and-breakfast situation.

Being on a few Airbnb host forums on FB, and being a host myself, most people are against cameras in kitchens, living rooms, etc in situations where an entire home or apartment is rented to one group. Totally understandable but now I'm hearing that some people have cameras in these areas which are only activated by a security or fire alarm. When activated, the feed goes to a monitoring firm which is then able to see if there is anyone inside. Which makes sense.

But we have more of a bed-and-breakfast setup and it would be nice to have a camera in the interior stairs. But since I have 15 cameras (and a couple more to be installed) covering the exterior, it would almost be redundant.

Some of the interior cameras were creepy and I can't blame Airbnb for taking this step. As with any sweeping change, there are always a few innocent victims.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can see the use of indoor cameras in certain indoor areas such as stairways and hallways where rooms or small apartments are rented to different people. Think more of a bed-and-breakfast situation.

Being on a few Airbnb host forums on FB, and being a host myself, most people are against cameras in kitchens, living rooms, etc in situations where an entire home or apartment is rented to one group. Totally understandable but now I'm hearing that some people have cameras in these areas which are only activated by a security or fire alarm. When activated, the feed goes to a monitoring firm which is then able to see if there is anyone inside. Which makes sense.

But we have more of a bed-and-breakfast setup and it would be nice to have a camera in the interior stairs. But since I have 15 cameras (and a couple more to be installed) covering the exterior, it would almost be redundant.

Some of the interior cameras were creepy and I can't blame Airbnb for taking this step. As with any sweeping change, there are always a few innocent victims.
So if I airbnb a room .. I can not have cameras anywhere inside now ?

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
So if I airbnb a room .. I can not have cameras anywhere inside now ?
Correct. Which is an issue for many, especially if they live on the property. Oh, and outdoor pools can't have cameras covering them which is a HUGE issue for some insurance companies.

I wonder if AirBnB will backtrack a bit on this.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
People should just do their business in the backseats of their cars; why do you think we're allowed to tint our rear windows. Even better - go to the Forest and enjoy the natural wonders of "life"

:rofl:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
People should just do their business in the backseats of their cars; why do you think we're allowed to tint our rear windows. Even better - go to the Forest and enjoy the natural wonders of "life"

:rofl:
hmmm .. so many young people now do not have cars .. perhaps you can get a Uber of Lyft ?

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought those were "Leg Straps" in my old VW Bug. What did I know?