AI CODEC vs Smart Codec?

locarno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Which one I should use on my camera? AI or Smart Codec? What's the difference between them?

locarno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Only camera without NVR. IPC-HFW3549T1-AS-PV-0280B. Recording to SDCard. I'm using it for car recording on a parking lot. I'm using motion detection (human and car). I only need good quality when human or other car in movement is detected. I also have IVS for entering and leaving my parking slot, but IVS is not neccessary for me. Here's my actuall setup

H265
Smart Codec
2592*1944
15 fps
VBR
6)best)
Max Bit Rate 6144

It is good or could be better?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Only camera without NVR. IPC-HFW3549T1-AS-PV-0280B. Recording to SDCard. I'm using it for car recording on a parking lot. I'm using motion detection (human and car). I only need good quality when human or other car in movement is detected. I also have IVS for entering and leaving my parking slot, but IVS is not neccessary for me. Here's my actuall setup

H265
Smart Codec
2592*1944
15 fps
VBR
6)best)
Max Bit Rate 6144

It is good or could be better?
That looks fine. I would test both smart and AI a few days each and see which one is better quality and which one uses less space.

locarno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks I will test both setting. But please tell me. On Smart Codec I set Max Bit Rate 6144. On AI codec there's only Bit rate setting. Should I leave Default Customized - 1728 or change it to 6144 from dropdown list? But from what I read both codecs change bit rate dynamically?

zexoni70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which one I should use on my camera? AI or Smart Codec? What's the difference between them?
Both codecs serve to save space on the HDD or SD card, and to ensure as good a recording as possible with the lowest bit rate.
But still, the best video is made with the General codec, and it doesn't do any additional compression.

The links below explain the purpose of the AI Codec and how it works.

You have a lot of topics here on the forum where it is explained that the best image and video is obtained with General H.264 codec, FPS - 15 and I-Frame of 15 to match with FPS. :wave:

Last edited:

locarno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Smart Codec works fine for me. I could see lower bitrate in static scene and higher when car appears. I'm checking it during live view via SmartPSS. But AI Codec with CBR (grayed-out without change ability) always have high bitrate. I don't think AI Codec is helping to save more space.

locarno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
And it is true that Smart Codec mean no IVS, ROI, and movement detection? I think it still works even with SC, but user manual says otherwise.

austwhite

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@locarno
During my testing IVS stays operational with Smart and AI codec, but you do lose the ROI (Region of Interest) which makes sense really. ROI would rely on that region being higher quality, but Smart and AI Codec try to make it lower quality when static.
AI Codec still gives the ability to adjust iFrame interval where Smart Codec does not. This may not matter with SD Card recording, but if you ever move to a third party solution like Blue Iris, iFrame interval becomes important.
From what I can gather, AI Codec will use more bandwidth than Smart Codec, bigger recording sizes. It seems from my limited testing AI Codec uses a combination of CBR and VBR depending on what the "AI" determines is going on in the scene. Smart Codec seems to use the least amount of bandwidth, lowest file size, but it also gives the poorest quality as static parts of the image get much lower bandwidth than moving parts.
Depends what you want to use it for of course. Your use case likely would see Smart Codec as best option.

It may depend on the camera and firmware version, the above is true with my IPC-HDW3849 AND IPC-HDW3641 cameras. I am using the Dahua NVR currently and do not use Region of Interest so I don't mind using the AI Codec or Smart Codec (depending on where the camera is) I do use IVS on most cameras I have.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Simple reply. The higher the bit rate the more space it will take unless more heavily compressed in which case the quality will suffer.

My advice would be set both to 6144 and compare so you're comparing apples to apples. If you're prepared to allocate the space to 6144 for one, there's no reason why you shouldn't for the other. If you determine which one is best, it at least gives you an idea and you can then try lowering the bit rate on both if disatisfied and re-comparing again. However, generally the higher the bit rate, the better the quality up until the a certain point is reached where it becomes impossible to tell. Most CCTV cameras don't give very high options anyway so you'r unliekly to exceed the quality vs visible improvement stage easily if by much.

Also, test with motion. A low bit rate will work fine on a static image as very little in the picture is changing. The situation is different once you introduce movement and what looks great with a static picture could look rubbish with motion. Another reason for choosing a higher bit rate within reason. Don't forget motion can involve branches and leaves on trees and grass, and not just pedestrians or cars. It all adds to the codecs workload. Best test conditions for motions are a windy day for that reason.

Last edited: