AI CAMERAS

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When using the AI function in BI are the cameras required to be AI cameras or does BI do all the magic With any camera?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is the beauty of the BI and AI - it can be done with any camera that BI can use (obviously tossing out the consumer grade cloud based stuff that is proprietary like Ring LOL).

I was using BI AI with some cheap no-name $40 cams I was using as an overview camera.

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is the beauty of the BI and AI - it can be done with any camera that BI can use (obviously tossing out the consumer grade cloud based stuff that is proprietary like Ring LOL).

I was using BI AI with some cheap no-name $40 cams I was using as an overview camera.
Thanks what would be an inexpensive but good camera I could purchase before buying others? Something to experiment with.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would suggest this one: Review-OEM Loryta IPC-T5442T-ZE Varifocal 4mp camera (Dahua) | IP Cam Talk
It can be used in most any location you would need it, and has good nighttime vision.
If money is really tight then this one: Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal | IP Cam Talk
Thanks I’m sure these are very good choices but way out of my league. Really tight is what MikeA suggested. I won’t spend more than $100 I really don’t think it’s necessary for my needs.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks I’m sure these are very good choices but way out of my league. Really tight is what MikeA suggested. I won’t spend more than $100 I really don’t think it’s necessary for my needs.
We have all said that lol.

I have a box full of cameras where I tried to cheap out and didn't cut it.

Sensor size matters at night. The cheap cams use small sensors made for 720P and 1080P so they need a lot more light trying to push 4 or 8MP thru it.

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We have all said that lol.

I have a box full of cameras where I tried to cheap out and didn't cut it.

Sensor size matters at night. The cheap cams use small sensors made for 720P and 1080P so they need a lot more light trying to push 4 or 8MP thru it.
I understand but I have a specific need and just ok will do me fine. I drive à Ford sedan but I’d much rather drive a Mercedes. Everything has its place in life.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that the cheap cameras play with the image at night to favor a bright static image over everything else, so if you are hoping to ID perps, it will be problematic. Watching a pet probably ok.

But since you are talking about using BI AI, you need to know the full picture as it relates to almost any low end consumer grade cheap camera. I have a cheapo camera for overview purposes so it doesn't matter, but it exhibits this same behavior even though in the settings I can set an iframe...

This was a screenshot of a member here where they had set these cameras to 15FPS 15 iframes within the cameras:

1662983787611.png

Now look at they key - that is the iframes. Blue Iris works best when the FPS and the iframes match. Now this is a ratio, so it should be a 1 if it matches the FPS. The iframes not matching (that you cannot fix or change with a reolink) is why they miss motion in Blue Iris and why people have problems. This is mainly why people are having issues with these cameras and there are many threads showing the issues people have with this manufacturer and Blue Iris. It is these same games that make the camera look great as a still image or video but turn to crap once motion is introduced.

The Blue Iris developer has indicated that for best reliability, sub stream frame rate should be equal to the main stream frame rate and these cameras cannot do that and there is nothing you can do about that with these cameras... The iframe rates (something these cameras do not allow you to set) should equal the FPS, but at worse case be no more than double. This example shows the cameras going down to a keyrate of 0.25 means that the iframe rates are over 4 times the FPS and that is why motion detection is a disaster with these cameras and Blue Iris...A value of 0.5 or less is considered insufficient to trust for motion triggers reliably...try to do DeepStack and it will be useless...

Compounding the matter even worse...motion detection is based on the substream and look at the substream FPS - they dropped down to below 6 FPS with an iframe/key rate of 0.25 - you will miss motion most of the time with that issue... A KEY of 0.25 means any object that can be in and out of the field of view within 4 seconds may be completely missed.

We have seen people come here with a KEY of 0.1, which means any object that can be in and out of the camera view in under 10 seconds will be missed as a trigger.

Blue Iris is great and works with probably more camera brands than most VMS programs, but there are brands that don't work well or not at all - Rings, Arlos, Nest, Some Zmodo cams use proprietary systems and cannot be used with Blue Iris, and for a lot of people Reolink doesn't work well either.

Now compare above to mine and cameras that follow industry standards that allow you to actually set parameters and they don't manipulate them. You will see that my FPS match what I set in the camera, and the 1.00 key means the iframe matches:

1662983811891.png

That is why we recommend the Amcrest. Even though it is cheap camera on a less than ideal MP/sensor ratio, you can at least set the parameters to the proper settings to give it fighting chance to somewhat work.

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that the cheap cameras play with the image at night to favor a bright static image over everything else, so if you are hoping to ID perps, it will be problematic. Watching a pet probably ok.

But since you are talking about using BI AI, you need to know the full picture as it relates to almost any low end consumer grade cheap camera. I have a cheapo camera for overview purposes so it doesn't matter, but it exhibits this same behavior even though in the settings I can set an iframe...

This was a screenshot of a member here where they had set these cameras to 15FPS 15 iframes within the cameras:

1662983787611.png

Now look at they key - that is the iframes. Blue Iris works best when the FPS and the iframes match. Now this is a ratio, so it should be a 1 if it matches the FPS. The iframes not matching (that you cannot fix or change with a reolink) is why they miss motion in Blue Iris and why people have problems. This is mainly why people are having issues with these cameras and there are many threads showing the issues people have with this manufacturer and Blue Iris. It is these same games that make the camera look great as a still image or video but turn to crap once motion is introduced.

The Blue Iris developer has indicated that for best reliability, sub stream frame rate should be equal to the main stream frame rate and these cameras cannot do that and there is nothing you can do about that with these cameras... The iframe rates (something these cameras do not allow you to set) should equal the FPS, but at worse case be no more than double. This example shows the cameras going down to a keyrate of 0.25 means that the iframe rates are over 4 times the FPS and that is why motion detection is a disaster with these cameras and Blue Iris...A value of 0.5 or less is considered insufficient to trust for motion triggers reliably...try to do DeepStack and it will be useless...

Compounding the matter even worse...motion detection is based on the substream and look at the substream FPS - they dropped down to below 6 FPS with an iframe/key rate of 0.25 - you will miss motion most of the time with that issue... A KEY of 0.25 means any object that can be in and out of the field of view within 4 seconds may be completely missed.

We have seen people come here with a KEY of 0.1, which means any object that can be in and out of the camera view in under 10 seconds will be missed as a trigger.

Blue Iris is great and works with probably more camera brands than most VMS programs, but there are brands that don't work well or not at all - Rings, Arlos, Nest, Some Zmodo cams use proprietary systems and cannot be used with Blue Iris, and for a lot of people Reolink doesn't work well either.

Now compare above to mine and cameras that follow industry standards that allow you to actually set parameters and they don't manipulate them. You will see that my FPS match what I set in the camera, and the 1.00 key means the iframe matches:

1662983811891.png

That is why we recommend the Amcrest. Even though it is cheap camera on a less than ideal MP/sensor ratio, you can at least set the parameters to the proper settings to give it fighting chance to somewhat work.
This is a great writeup and the scaring thing is I kind of understand what you’re saying.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is a great writeup and the scaring thing is I kind of understand what you’re saying.
LOL you have come a long way in a short time LOL.

Just don't go crazy and buy 4 cheapo LOL.

Buy one and test it for a couple days at each location you plan to put a camera and see if it fits your needs.

Nothing worse than buying a $50 camera and getting rid of it within 9 months and buying the $120 camera to replace it LOL.

Looney here says often buy once, cry once LOL.

Scary to think how many good cameras I could buy had I not bought the collection of misc other cameras before finding this site LOL.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great post from today showing the $50 Amcrest in action as a data point on if this is sufficient for your needs.

Reaction score
Great post from today showing the $50 Amcrest in action as a data point on if this is sufficient for your needs.

What @wittaj says here is spot on--- emphasis on the "IF"...

Look closely at that video-- you will see partially "through" the close deer as it walks by-- ghosting. I could probably tweak that a bit more to reduce it, but it is a constant give and take between the different settings. Check this out--- last night there was enough reflected light from low overcast that it stayed in color mode all night...

1673545031253.png

Now--- if a person or deer had walked through the yard last night-- the video performance would have been absolutely laughably BAD as the settings for this are good for full daylight. I don't rely on this cam to ID anything though-- just an overview cam and for wildlife-- more like "pleasure" viewing.