Advice on what to do with Security System please

beek

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, hoping I can get some guidance on which way to go for my security system. I am the 3rd owner of house that was built in 1999, there is an existing system installed but not operational in our house. It's an Partner P832 system with a PC5010 board. It has all 8 zones configured and a few of them have the wires doubled up. I have no idea which if any of the wires or circuits are good. I would like to get a new security system and was looking at the wireless options but figured I should see what I've got and find out if any of it is worth using or not. If I can fix the existing door sensors that seems like a good option since they are like $25-$30 for the wireless ones. I have included a pic of one of the door sensors which appears that the magnet side maybe missing to me. Also I have picture of what I believe the power supply to be, I put my meter on it and it looked like it was only 4v or so, I cant locate any wires in the alarm bundle that are the red/white combo but perhaps they connect somewhere else.

I am a techie and love my gadgets, I have a handful of Hikvision cameras currently and use my Synology as the NVR.
I like the Honeywell Lynx or DSC Touch but I'm not sold on either yet but would like good integration with other home automation items coming in my future.

I would like to know if there are simple tests I could do to find out which of these sensors are actually working and/or if it's worth it to try and repair since running new wires would be impossible. I guess I would like to know what you think my next steps should be and general advice?

Thank you! James

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If the place is wired I would try and use a wired or hybrid system.....even if the sensors are bad, you can replace them..they are likely still just fine. If you want to tinker with it yourself, I would buy a dsc system from a seller who provides tech support.

beek

n3wb
Reaction score
If I pull the wires off the current alarm (and label them with the zone) I assume it's just a continuity test? I see a number of them have the magnet side missing can you buy just that or should I take out the calipers and measure to find a whole new set to get the magnets? Any suggestions on which hybrid system to look at?