Advice on set-up

Reaction score
Buying my first IP-camera, have couple of questions:
1. I am looking towards DS-2CD2432F-IW,
since it supports writing to micro SD card, i will NOT need NVR, right?
I can just hook up camera to DSL modem and view remotely from my PC/iphone.

2. Will this set-up allow me set recording 'on movement detection',
and check the video recording remotely from my PC/iphone?
(Basically will i be able to access video records on camera's micro SD card remotely?)

3. What shop can you recommend?
I was planning to order from amazon seller named 'Hikvision' (not sure if it's company itself)
But not sure about the version of firmware they have on their cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1) yes just hook it up to your router
2)yes, it has serveral options to detect motion. PIR, line cross, pixel based motion, you can access live and recorded video remotely
3) The amazon shops are likely selling china region cameras that will not allow for firmware upgrades or warranty/support.
What are you using the camera for?
Nellys has the 2.8mm 2mp version of this camera that will give you a very wide angle for 129 with 3 year warranty (from nellys).
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/hikvision-2cd2420f-iw-2mp-indoor-ir-wifi-cube-camera-2-8mm.html
this is basically the same camera as well. laview 2.8mm, for 115...
https://jet.com/product/product/2d1d131af5164a50bb35db6974ef804c?jcmp=pla:ggl:cameras_optics_a1:cameras_surveillance_cameras_a1_other:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=e465cd13-daa9-47ab-a2c8-243cb3dd58d6&kpid=2d1d131af5164a50bb35db6974ef804c&gclid=CjwKEAjwsvmvBRCT5ozK-dmY7D4SJACyIoJmtHTDyNCL8oj3qkujoz-LJTMfwm1Z6NfireMcuWSuXRoCf2fw_wcB

Reaction score
2)yes, it has serveral options to detect motion. PIR, line cross, pixel based motion, you can access live and recorded video remotely
what is the best software to work with these cameras?

3) The amazon shops are likely selling china region cameras that will not allow for firmware upgrades or warranty/support.
What are you using the camera for?
Nellys has the 2.8mm 2mp version of this camera that will give you a very wide angle for 129 with 3 year warranty (from nellys).
The camera will be used in the warehouse.
Checked nellyssecurity - they carry DS-2CD2432F-IW - it's $50 more expensive comparing to amazon/chinese sellers.
But seems like it will save hours 'dancing' with firmware upgrades.
Thanks you for suggestion.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
what is the best software to work with these cameras?

The camera will be used in the warehouse.
Checked nellyssecurity - they carry DS-2CD2432F-IW - it's $50 more expensive comparing to amazon/chinese sellers.
But seems like it will save hours 'dancing' with firmware upgrades.
Thanks you for suggestion.
You may not need the 3mp at all...it doesnt add any significant clarity. It does give you more vertical field of view (and a bit less horizontal when run in 3mp mode). I run may of the hikvision 3mp cameras at 1080p.

Reaction score
I see they sell unbranded Hikvision product. Seems like it have slightly different firmware.
Would it still work with IVMS-4500?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I see they sell unbranded Hikvision product. Seems like it have slightly different firmware.
Would it still work with IVMS-4500?
Its the same exact firmware as the hikvision branded cameras. You can install the lasted US hikvision firmware on them. It will work with ivms-4500.
Note the camera does not come with a power supply. You either have to order one or use POE.

Reaction score
fenderman thanks for all the answers!!!
how do it set up POE for 2 cameras? Will i need to have 2 separate POE injectors? Don't see "dual POE ports out" options. And what is the difference between passive injector and injector.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
how do it set up POE for 2 cameras? Will i need to have 2 separate POE injectors? Don't see "dual POE ports out" options. And what is the difference between passive injector and injector.
Forget single injectors or passive injectors. Get this 45 dollar switch and call it a day.
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1442799281&sr=1-1&keywords=poe+switch

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A passive injector is an injector that supplies 48v power all the time down the line, regardless of what is on the other end, therefore it is not 802.3af compliant but will power most things crude but it works. I personally hate those devices and would never use them.

A proper POE injector on the other hand is 802.3af compliant and only supplies power down the line if there is a device on the other end that supports POE, it also has safety things such as overcurrent protection etc. For a IP camera it may be a bit much.

I would just go with a POE switch as fenderman suggest as it is cheaper, and if you need to expand later you have available ports.

Reaction score
Guys thank you for your help!
Just ordered 2 cams (DS-2CD2432F-IW) from nellyssecurity. And POE switch from amazon.
Do i need special cables for switch to pass the power? Or regular ethernet cables will work?
Also i've read some Micro SD don't work with these cams. Any particular brand/type i should look for to avoid problems.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Guys thank you for your help!
Just ordered 2 cams (DS-2CD2432F-IW) from nellyssecurity. And POE switch from amazon.
Do i need special cables for switch to pass the power? Or regular ethernet cables will work?
Also i've read some Micro SD don't work with these cams. Any particular brand/type i should look for to avoid problems.
any ethernet cable will work.
Buy a name brand SD card from a reliable source...no ebay/aliexpress etc..

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would also avoid the cheap cheap ethernet cables they can cause problems on their own.

For the SD cards, just watch out for fakes. Sandisk and etc don't use any more holograms and etc anymore to help identify the real ones (even then the Chinese copy everything anyways) so you gotta do as fenderman suggest and buy from a reputable seller. They'll be probably cost even twice as much However it's up to you to decide.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
To michelins point, buy quality cable from a reliable source...make sure its not copper clad aluminum (cca) which is junk.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Set all ports to 8000
enter the cameras ip address in the private ip address box. Done.
Thx fenderman! Works!
I will connect 2 ip cams to my local network(only 1 connected now, waiting for cables...).
When remotely viewing i enter Public IP Address in broser/or iVMS app. Will i be able to access 2 cams using same Public IP Address?

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you just have the 2 cameras and no NVR, you can view the cameras individually. But you would need to change the ports for the second camera as you can't have them on the same ports.

Reaction score
If you just have the 2 cameras and no NVR, you can view the cameras individually. But you would need to change the ports for the second camera as you can't have them on the same ports.
So i need to create 2 virtual servers, one using 8000 as ports, another 8001?