Advice on replacement hardware for my BI set up.

Boyturtle

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently use an HP 800 mini G4 with 8GB RAM, 256GB m2 ssd and i5 8500 processor (6 cores, 3.00GHz base, 4.1GHz turbo, UHD graphics 630, 65w TDP). I have 6x4MP cameras and 1x5MP unit recording at 4/5MP when triggered. Onboard graphics hardware acceleration is used, as is direct to disk h.264/5 recording as well as sub-streams. It's unlikely that I'll be increasing the camera count by more than 3x4MP in the coming 4 years.

3 of the 6 cameras are Hikvision and they also run a 3rd, 1080 stream which records 24/7. the 5MP Reolink records 24/7 at the lower sub-stream rate of 640x480.

Triggered recordings are written to the local m2 SSD and then moved to Stored folder on the NAS on the local network after 24 hours. The 24/7 recordings are written straight to the NAS.

Total CPU load is typically 25-35% without the BI console running and 50-60% with it on, so it's able to easily handle the load. Disk storage on the device is ample and the ability to offload most of my recordings to the NAS along with the device's small footprint makes this form factor an ideal solution for my limited space needs.

The problem I have been having with my device is that it runs hot, 65-70C at the loads quoted above. As the item is under warranty, HP have twice sent engineers over to try and resolve this (they stated that they would expect a running temp of 35-45C), changing the heat-sink and fan on the first trip and then the motherboard on the second. Neither fix resolved the issue and they have now offered to replace the unit with a later G5 model but with a cut down i5-9500T (6 cores, 2.20GHz base, 3.7GHz turbo, UHD graphics 630, 35w TDP). So my question is will this unit be capable of running my current set up and potential 3 camera additions in the next 4 years or should I push them for the full fat CPU variant with the potential overheating issues that may ensue?

FWIW, I'm not interested in getting the more powerful CPU for the sake of it and would rather run the lower powered unit as it will use less electricity; but only if it is up to the job. My concern is that I would be better off not getting the T versions of the core i5/7 for BI implementation, but was wondering if any users here had had success at using them in similar use cases to mine?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is clear you are not doing EVERY optimization for BI and may in fact have done things that are contributing to your higher CPU loads. That machine with your cameras should be less than 10%.

A member here is running an i7-4970 with 50 cameras at less CPU% than you are. I have way more cameras than you on a lesser processor way less than your CPU%.

The T versions will cut CPU power and cores when it gets hot and then you will have issues with BI.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have same computer running 13 cameras. cpu varies from 9% to 12%. (24%-55% with multiple motion detection on 4-6 cameras)calms down after things slow down with people movements. I cannot get speccy to show a CPU temperature.
I know when they hit 79C they speed up the fan on my Dell machines to keep 80C which is within spec of a CPU doing actual work. My i5 4590 runs 29C copying a drive to another drive 4 Tb. it uses less watts so less heat. I really wish i could see what that 8500 cpu is doing thermally. but I think your system is just fine. some cpu's just run hotter than others.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
65-70c would be pretty normal @ 55% CPU load. My other BI PC is a dell i7-3770s which runs at 60-69C doing nothing. and 70-77C when running 13 cameras.

Boyturtle

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies folks. In the end, HP considered the temperature to be too high and offered me a replacement full fat i5 G6 version of this device that I received today. This runs cooler and the CPU load with all camera running is somewhere around 10%.