Advice on IP cam

vegeta

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in need of one IP camera. WIFI model (preferably due to lack of PoE switch atm)

This will be used for surveillance of the parking lot which located approximately 20-30 meters from recording location
This parking lot has at night pretty bad lightning. Street lights are there, so it is not pitch dark, but its not that great either.
At the moment (as quick and dirty solution) I am using android phone with IP cam which is then controlled (motion detection) from my Synology Surveillance station.
And it works ok...motion detection that is. However, as one can imagine, recording itself is really bad.

I would prefer INDOOR camera which I can point through the window. Outdoor camera that can be noticed by others is not really an option (due to law's here).
I know that IR/nightvision will not be possible through the reflective surface, so I was wondering if you have any camera that is low light sensitive?
That could work with the poor (although present) streetlights without need of IR usage?

It must have possibility to manually control night vision (some cameras seem to do automatic switching only, which obviously wouldn't work in my case)
If camera itself has decent motion detection where you can choose certain area of the image to react to, its a plus. Otherwise Synology will take care of it.
Obviously ability to send footage to NAS (FTP/Stream feed/CIFS or whatever)

So basically excellent, indoor wifi cam, manual IR control, "great" low light performance and motion detection.
Any model you could recommend for me?

I am not looking for miracles here as I know that indoor behind window setup is limiting, but good enough for this purpose.

Budget.... less than 400-500$

Thanks in advance!

vegeta

n3wb
Reaction score
Absolutely, I agree its not a big issue I can always get the PoE injector or get it to work in another way.

So with WiFi out of the way, any models that fit the rest of the "requirements"?

vegeta

n3wb
Reaction score
Considering the lack or replies is it safe to assume that there is no product available to fulfill my criteria? :(

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OP-

I will try to help you out....the only thing throwing me for a loop is how well any camera is going to do behind that window when IR will be reflected back. And the other thing is if only the parking lot had decent lighting where you could turn off the IR on the camera.

Anyway...the only suggestion I have off the top of my head is a Hik DS-2CD2432F-IW

Its an indoor cam, 3mp, you can turn off the IR, and its wireless if need be.

vegeta

n3wb
Reaction score
OP-

I will try to help you out....the only thing throwing me for a loop is how well any camera is going to do behind that window when IR will be reflected back. And the other thing is if only the parking lot had decent lighting where you could turn off the IR on the camera.

Anyway...the only suggestion I have off the top of my head is a Hik DS-2CD2432F-IW

Its an indoor cam, 3mp, you can turn off the IR, and its wireless if need be.
Hi Roman,
Thanks for the reply!

Sorry if I was unclear.
I understand that IR will not work behind window, so I am not planning on using it.
So the plan is to use the camera with IR turned off and thats the main reason I am looking for light sensitive lens which will give me most "viable image" considering the environment.

I was looking at DS-2CD2432F-IW you mentioned and the similar modell Fenderman mentioned before.
It could work I guess (nice format, wifi etc). I just don't want to repeat the same misstake with the small cameras like I did with D-Link DCS-935L which was utter garbage in any aspect.
As I have to order the camera from abroad (no real sellers here in Sweden, its china importers all of them), I want to be as sure as possible as any returns would cost in terms of shipping and time lost.

I was also looking at DS-2CD2032-I which according to the reviews seem like a great "little" cam. It lacks wireless but PoE injector can solve this easily. Its outdoor cam, but I am sure it would find it cosy indoors as well :)

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
2432 has been a wonderful cam, but you will be disappointed with night time results especially if you are planning to use it without IR. there are darknight series but they are $$$ and bulky. Frankly, not sure what to recommend.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Just realized I have one of these old video cameras, Samsung smx-f30bp.

user manual here: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/SMX-F30BP/EDC

Is there any way turning this one into networked cam? With some kind of converter analog->wifi or analog->rj45 adapter?
The digital ones have APPS which are tremendously useful, I would spend energy picking good digital camera and making it work nice at night (put outside)

vegeta

n3wb
Reaction score
How is Dahua regarding sellers? Same as hikvision? blocking firmware updates etc?

Where can I find this one from decent dealer?
[h=2]IPC-HFW8281E-Z[/h]

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How is Dahua regarding sellers? Same as hikvision? blocking firmware updates etc?

Where can I find this one from decent dealer?
IPC-HFW8281E-Z
They dont block the updates, but the dont publish firmware..you need to get it from your seller, which can be hard.

vegeta

n3wb
Reaction score
Picture says 1000 words...or something like that...

Here is the actual snapshot of conditions during night. Currently using Note 2 cell phone with this software https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam&hl=en
As mentioned before my synology surveillance station is doing motion detection and it actually works well and every time motion detection triggered recording it was spot on (no false positives).
Only problem is when other cars pass by, their lights light up the area which triggers motion detection. Preferably I would only want to trigger it when there are people moving around.

All in all its actually not that bad...of course recognizing faces, plates etc is impossible, but it is not the requirement either. I just want the alarm when someone if fiddling around my car and only at night

Attachments

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Large focal length, hopefully you have assigned parking spot. Let those lights illuminate (too bad they are behind cars) for you but get them out of the view.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
6, 9, 12mm? What do you recon?
larger focal length will reduce field of view to eliminate lights and focus on your car, this will help with motion detection. Is your car in fixed spot?

vegeta

n3wb
Reaction score
larger focal length will reduce field of view to eliminate lights and focus on your car, this will help with motion detection. Is your car in fixed spot?
Its in the fixed spot, the white one on the picture