Advice on indoor cams

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've just ordered a couple more starlight cams to more or less complete my outdoor setup (for now). 231R-ZE variants.

I'm now looking at introducing some indoor cams to the system.
At the moment I'm only looking at installing 2, one facing the front door in the lounge and 1 facing the rear back door from the dining room.

It's only a small house so 2 will suffice for now.

With these being going to be used indoors I'm ruling out bullets for now and looking at turret/domes.

The specific function of these cameras will be to monitor the inside of the house at the 2 main entrance points whilst we are out or on holiday.

So in view of the above I'm looking at 4k cameras.
Ideal if they have decent low light vision but its not as necessary to give as good as the 2mp starlights (231R-ZE).

My train of thought with this is. The majority of the time we are out through the day or if we are on holiday. Or even if we are out in the evening any perpetrator would likely turn the lights on to some degree.

So I'm open to thoughts, opinions and recommendations.

At the moment the budget is open. If the cameras are worth it then I'm willing to pay it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not gonna plan for the BG to turn on lights..any BG worth his salt is going to operate in low light as to not draw attention..

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not gonna plan for the BG to turn on lights..any BG worth his salt is going to operate in low light as to not draw attention..
That's very true. Bit of a mind fart that.
But at the same time the majority of the time we are out is during daylight hours or on holiday.

In an ideal world the cams would have decent low light performance.

A bit like the new 4k starlights that have just been reviewed by @looney2ns.

Although that form factor wont fit with indoor application.

Ideally would have audio as well.

I'm asking a lot I know but I'm sure theres something available.

If not I may end up going for the 2mp starlights like I have outside as they are very good cameras.

In this instance I'd just like a bit more resolution during daylight as it will generally be a wider FOV so the resolution will help

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm still open to 2mp or 4mp if there's no better options available.
As I know for an outdoor setting the 2mp starlights are still king.

There's just so many different options and variations, even for me and I've researched and got a fair few cameras.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The newer 4K's seem to do ok, you can always add extra IR if needed for night. But I dont think you'll do better than the 2MP Starlights for now..
That maybe true. Just been doing some more reading again.

I think there is a 4k starlight that's just come out but its only in bullet form and I really don't want to put them up indoors anyway.

I'm the 2mp starlights is there anything with a comparable day/night quality as the 5231_R ZE turrets in a slightly more obscure form factor like the recessed cams you can get?

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
yes. The Dahua mini-wedge dome is your friend indoors. Higher than average WAF, great low light performance. If you are looking at the doors, and want ID of a stranger, i would get the 3.6mm lenses and position them about 10ft back, perhaps on the ceiling 8-9 ft up.

If you really want good affect, position an LED cool light around the door camera area on a trimmer and leave the camera in 24hr color mode. I have found that the cameras do a very poor job of going from B&W to color in the morning on their own, but even in B&W IR mode, they have great resolution, and as @bigredfish mentioned, adding a $30 extra LED illumination will easily fill the corners. I personally would go with color 24-7 if you can. You will be amazed at how little white light (mood) is needed to get a good image at night.

personal experience tells me: Good Burgers do not turn on lights.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
yes. The Dahua mini-wedge dome is your friend indoors. Higher than average WAF, great low light performance. If you are looking at the doors, and want ID of a stranger, i would get the 3.6mm lenses and position them about 10ft back, perhaps on the ceiling 8-9 ft up.

If you really want good affect, position an LED cool light around the door camera area on a trimmer and leave the camera in 24hr color mode. I have found that the cameras do a very poor job of going from B&W to color in the morning on their own, but even in B&W IR mode, they have great resolution, and as @bigredfish mentioned, adding a $30 extra LED illumination will easily fill the corners. I personally would go with color 24-7 if you can. You will be amazed at how little white light (mood) is needed to get a good image at night.

personal experience tells me: Good Burgers do not turn on lights.

Thanks I'll look into it.

I know how good the starlights are in colour at night as that's how I run mine
Colour mode 24/7.

Does the wedge camera have audio?

The location in both areas is about 4m away from each door and will be mounted on the ceiling.

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Great indoor cam. From the inside of our front door to the French patio door Ive got about 45’ to cover or these would work for us. Going for a varifical but not sure what yet.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
most of my indoor cameras are similar to the Hikvision cube. They just sit on cabinet shelves. you have to really look to see them. I just do not like the looks of wall or ceiling mounted cameras inside a house.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
most of my indoor cameras are similar to the Hikvision cube. They just sit on cabinet shelves. you have to really look to see them. I just do not like the looks of wall or ceiling mounted cameras inside a house.
I've actually got 2 of the annke hikvision cube cams which I'll be utilising as well.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

wodman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Bought one of wolf4ever two cams fs. Love the specs and seems versatile enough for many potential locations (should first location not pass wife test).

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've just been looking at this one
SD1A203T-GN

Seems like a decent cam as well although not as small or obscure as the wedge cam