Advantages of using Dahua NVR with Dahua cameras

Reaction score
I am about to pull the trigger on some Dahua cams and am leaning towards the Dahua NVR as well. Is there any advantage of using the same brand NVR?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
YES - functionality and features can be lost if they do not match.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5216 model seems to be a fave around here. Get more than you think, so if you plan to run 4 cams, get the 8 cam model. If you plan to run 8, get the 16 cam model. You will probably find that you will want to add cameras and you want to have that capacity.

Reaction score
The 5216 model seems to be a fave around here. Get more than you think, so if you plan to run 4 cams, get the 8 cam model. If you plan to run 8, get the 16 cam model. You will probably find that you will want to add cameras and you want to have that capacity.
Good to know. Can I run shucked WD drives in these? Also, would you happen to know if the 16 channel version of this model has 16 POE slots?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It would be preferable to run drives meant for surveillance cameras, but I run an old NVR as a backup with an old WD drive and it is fine. They make the NVRs with and without POE. Most people prefer non-powered POE NVRs as it allows for more flexibility in camara locations as you then do not need to run EVERY wire back to the NVR - connect it into a POE switch somewhere and good to go.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not to became paranoic, but I remember a case in which the burglar carry away with all electronics, including nvr, psp, including the nas. Better consider adding some strategic cameras with micro sd capability, as well as keeping the external nas. The limited storage of the microsd, could be enough to record the event.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which is why a nonPOE NVR is the right choice because you only need one cable going to it and can hide it a lot easier...but yes, certainly put in an SD card as well.

Reaction score
The 5216 model has the poe slots on the NVR itself, correct? Would you recommend something else if a separate poe switch is preferred?

Reaction score
Hello,
I need to view on a monitor a Dahua 5231 IP camera that I have been using so far with Internet Explorer, which worked fine.
If I add a POE NVR I could still access this camera directly like I did before?
Thank you in advance.
Sorry for my English !

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You would log into the NVR via the NVR IP address and then from the camera screen you will have a web browser that you open to get directly to the camera. So close, just another step or two to get to the camera as the NVR will isolate it from your network IP address.

Reaction score
You would log into the NVR via the NVR IP address and then from the camera screen you will have a web browser that you open to get directly to the camera. So close, just another step or two to get to the camera as the NVR will isolate it from your network IP address.
This is what I expect!
So I will use an android tv box and get the RTSP stream with VLC.
It already works but it's not reliable enough.
After 4 hours it freezes.
But maybe someone has a smarter way to go ?

Last edited: