ADT/Dahua NVR lost password/reset

techguy802

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently purchased a property that included an ADT NVR, model # NVR4416-16P-ADT-8 with 16 cameras. Unfortunately the person responsible for the camera system passed away and no one knows the password. I have tried all the default passwords along with the physical button on the mainboard multiple times. There is no reset/forgot password option in the software. ADT is no help and basically said "this system is old, just replace it".

I've done some digging around online and it looks like it might be a rebranded Dahua NVR? Has anyone successfully been able to ftp/telnet into one of these and reset the password or flash it with Dahua firmware?

Thanks!

techguy802

n3wb
Reaction score
For anyone looking for this solution in the future, I finally got into it! I found an app that generates passwords from the serial number of the unit (didn’t work) or based on the current date of the DVR. I was skeptical of this and hadn't pursued the password generator route much since I tried another app about a month ago that was supposed to do the same thing and it didn't work. CCTV Super Password generated 3 passwords and the last one worked!

‎CCTV Super Password

I'm now on the fence on whether I should mess with trying to flash the Dahua firmware vs the ADT that's on there now. Not sure if I will gain any functionality or just risk bricking it for no gain.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WOW that is crazy on the password generator - and scary too LOL.

I wouldn't risk it unless you plan to buy a new one.

We have lots of threads here of people bricking units that was firmware intended for their unit and/or it removes functionality they had or needed.

techguy802

n3wb
Reaction score
WOW that is crazy on the password generator - and scary too LOL.

I wouldn't risk it unless you plan to buy a new one.

We have lots of threads here of people bricking units that was firmware intended for their unit and/or it removes functionality they had or needed.
That’s a good point about bricking and would suck if that happened right after I finally got into it! Looking around online my software looks to be standard Dahua software. Only thing left to do is see if I can get the Dahua DMSS app connected to the NVR so I can view it from my phone.

tempImageFvXtXq.png tempImagew0qkB6.png