Adding rtsp camera to my NVR

tocjesse

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision NVR (EAR326-16A) curently set up with some analog cameras. I mainly access them thru the guarding vision app.
I have this other 3rd party ip camera (sercomm icamera2) that I can access like with rtsp stream. I want to be able to add it in with my NVR so that I can live view or at least record the footage into the NVR since there's plenty of space unused.
I see alot of videos and guides showing the option under Camera Management>IP Cameras for Customer Protocol. But I don't have this button when I go there.

I read that maybe the hikvision NVRs firmware might have removed that button? So Im wondering if I could downgrade the firmware to allow this option again or is there something else I could do to allow to access my ip camera thru the NVR

Any help would be appreciated

trempa92

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It entirely depends on firmware , but in most cases they do not come with release notes. Hence its hard to know.

tocjesse

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah and since then someone told me it's an OEM model nvr which just probably doesn't support rtsp. So I ended up purchasing a cheap tapo c100 with ONVIF to use instead.

I was able to get the c100 to connect thru ONvif but it will only work when its on the exact same router as the nvr.

I have my main ISP gateway the nvr is on, then another tplink router connected to it running to another part of the building. I want to have the camera connected to the sub router but when I do that I can't get the camera online on the NVR.

I tried forwarding the port from gateway to router, then router forwarding to the camera IP, and putting the IP camera address as my external ISP address and port. It can see the camera but gives the error (ip camera exception).

Any ideas how I could make that work or will it only work on the exact same router

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah and since then someone told me it's an OEM model nvr which just probably doesn't support rtsp. So I ended up purchasing a cheap tapo c100 with ONVIF to use instead.

I was able to get the c100 to connect thru ONvif but it will only work when its on the exact same router as the nvr.

I have my main ISP gateway the nvr is on, then another tplink router connected to it running to another part of the building. I want to have the camera connected to the sub router but when I do that I can't get the camera online on the NVR.

I tried forwarding the port from gateway to router, then router forwarding to the camera IP, and putting the IP camera address as my external ISP address and port. It can see the camera but gives the error (ip camera exception).

Any ideas how I could make that work or will it only work on the exact same router
Port forwarding your camera or nvr will have it hacked in no time. Use a vpn or something like zerotier or tailscale...lots of threads here explaining on how to do it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On the TP-LINK router is its WAN port connected to a LAN port of your "main ISP gateway" ?

If so, then anything wired to the TP-LINK's LAN ports or Wi-Fi will be on a different network subnet, different from your "main ISP gateway" and subsequently, the NVR as well.
Assumption: Your "main ISP gateway" is also a router:

In the TP-LINK, turn off its DHCP server, assign it a unique static IP in the same subnet as the ISP gateway"s LAN and the NVR but OUTSIDE of the gateway's DHCP pool. Do not use the TP-LINK's WAN port but instead connect one its LAN ports to one of the ISP gateway's LAN port. This basically turns the TP-LINK into a wireless access point, puts everything on the same network subnet and allows the ISP gateway to assign all the IP's on the LAN using its DHCP server.

EDIT: since the Tapo C-110 and C-100 do not allow to make their IP static, be sure to reserve that IP in the router.

tocjesse

n3wb
Reaction score
On the TP-LINK router is its WAN port connected to a LAN port of your "main ISP gateway" ?

If so, then anything wired to the TP-LINK's LAN ports or Wi-Fi will be on a different network subnet, different from your "main ISP gateway" and subsequently, the NVR as well.

Assumption: Your "main ISP gateway" is also a router:

In the TP-LINK, turn off its DHCP server, assign it a unique static IP in the same subnet as the ISP gateway"s LAN and the NVR but OUTSIDE of the gateway's DHCP pool. Do not use the TP-LINK's WAN port but instead connect one its LAN ports to one of the ISP gateway's LAN port. This basically turns the TP-LINK into a wireless access point, puts everything on the same network subnet and allows the ISP gateway to assign all the IP's on the LAN using its DHCP server.

EDIT: since the Tapo C-110 and C-100 do not allow to make their IP static, be sure to reserve that IP in the router.
Yeah, the TP Link Archer router has its WAN connected by ethernet over to a LAN port on the ISP Gateway, which is a router itself too. The ISP gateway gives its devices 10.0.0.x IPs and the TP Link subnet network gives its devices 192 IPs.

I figured there was issues with the ISP gateway network devices communicating with the TP Link subnet devices, which is why I tried using my ISP external IP and then forwarding the ports on each level to the camera, which still didn't seem to work thu the NVR.

I didn't know about connecting to the TP Link LAN port instead. So if I do that, the ISP will handle and see each TP Link's device exactly as if it were connected directly to itself with 10.0.x IPs?
Will the TP Link wifi work with its same settings and will those wifi devices believe they are connected directly to the ISP gateway?

Thanks so much for this info

tocjesse

n3wb
Reaction score
In the TP-LINK, turn off its DHCP server, assign it a unique static IP in the same subnet as the ISP gateway"s LAN and the NVR but OUTSIDE of the gateway's DHCP pool.
I'm a bit unsure with this part about what you mean. Specifically the part about assigning it in the same subnet but outside of the Gateways pool.

Could you clarify that a bit

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Let's say your router's LAN IP (gateway IP) is 192.168.1.1.
It's DHCP pool that it uses to assign IP's to non-static devices could be from 192.168.1.2. to 192.168.1.199.
That would leave 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.254 for you to use for assigning static IP's to devices.

Not saying you need to but you can generally log into the router and adjust the range (beginning IP to ending IP) of that DHCP pool if one needs to.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, the TP Link Archer router has its WAN connected by ethernet over to a LAN port on the ISP Gateway, which is a router itself too. The ISP gateway gives its devices 10.0.0.x IPs and the TP Link subnet network gives its devices 192 IPs.

I figured there was issues with the ISP gateway network devices communicating with the TP Link subnet devices, which is why I tried using my ISP external IP and then forwarding the ports on each level to the camera, which still didn't seem to work thu the NVR.

I didn't know about connecting to the TP Link LAN port instead. So if I do that, the ISP will handle and see each TP Link's device exactly as if it were connected directly to itself with 10.0.x IPs?
Will the TP Link wifi work with its same settings and will those wifi devices believe they are connected directly to the ISP gateway?

Thanks so much for this info
If you configure as I stated in post #5 then "yes".
There would be one LAN segment, all the same subnet (in your case 10.0.0.XXX) and the ISP gateway/router assigns all the IP's to DHCP-configured devices.
To assign static IP's in that same LAN, use IP's that are OUTSIDE the range of the router's DHCP pool, as explained in post #8 above.

tocjesse

n3wb
Reaction score
Let's say your router's LAN IP (gateway IP) is 192.168.1.1.
It's DHCP pool that it uses to assign IP's to non-static devices could be from 192.168.1.2. to 192.168.1.199.
That would leave 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.254 for you to use for assigning static IP's to devices.

Not saying you need to but you can generally log into the router and adjust the range (beginning IP to ending IP) of that DHCP pool if one needs to.
Okay, is that just to avoid a situation where the routers set IP ends up overlapping incase the gateway assigns that same ip to a different device?

On my gateway I have the option to reserve an IP to a device thats within the pool. Would it be fine if I just reserved an IP from within the pool to the routers mac address, and that would prevent any issues?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, is that just to avoid a situation where the routers set IP ends up overlapping incase the gateway assigns that same ip to a different device?
Yes, the router will assign ONLY from its DHCP pool leaving those IPs that are outside the DHCP pool OK for you to use.
On my gateway I have the option to reserve an IP to a device thats within the pool. Would it be fine if I just reserved it should prevent any problems?
Yes, that's OK.
I had to reserve an IP like that in my router for my Tapo C-110 cam because I cannot assign it a static IP (not a Tapo app option) and it had been assigned an IP by my router's DHCP function.