Adding Cameras

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question about adding 3 more POE cameras to my existing 5 camera setup. My NVR is in my 3rd floor office with monitor. So I’m looking to install 2 more cameras and 1 PTZ cameras to the far part of back yard where the pool and patio area. So to be short is there any way I can split my cat6 cable coming off the closest camera to where the 3 additional would go by using an outdoor POE switch? Because I don’t feel like climbing the latter again to the 3rd and running those long cable runs basically the length of my house to the far end of my back yard. I have a drive way camera in backyard about 60 feet from where I want to put new cameras, also want to see and record video with out running another line back to NVR. Is this possible to do
This is my equipment:

EmpireTech IPC-HDW5231R-ZE IP Camera 2MP Starlight WDR IR Eyeball Starlight Network IP Camera English Version x 2

EmpireTech IPC-HDW2231R-ZS IP Camera 2MP Starlight IR Eyeball Network Camera English Version x 3

NVR Dahua NVR5208-8P-4KS2 with US

Thanks for any input,
AC

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question about adding 3 more POE cameras to my existing 5 camera setup. My NVR is in my 3rd floor office with monitor. So I’m looking to install 2 more cameras and 1 PTZ cameras to the far part of back yard where the pool and patio area. So to be short is there any way I can split my cat6 cable coming off the closest camera to where the 3 additional would go by using an outdoor POE switch? Because I don’t feel like climbing the latter again to the 3rd and running those long cable runs basically the length of my house to the far end of my back yard. I have a drive way camera in backyard about 60 feet from where I want to put new cameras, also want to see and record video with out running another line back to NVR. Is this possible to do
This is my equipment:

EmpireTech IPC-HDW5231R-ZE IP Camera 2MP Starlight WDR IR Eyeball Starlight Network IP Camera English Version x 2

EmpireTech IPC-HDW2231R-ZS IP Camera 2MP Starlight IR Eyeball Network Camera English Version x 3

NVR Dahua NVR5208-8P-4KS2 with US

Thanks for any input,
AC

This will work nicely...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This will work nicely...

Thanks for the reply so I can use this with my existing cat6 run to my driveway camera. So I would pull the RJ 45 out of that camera and plug it into POE extender for power. Then run short cable cat6 wire back to my driveway camera to the extender port. Then the other port on the extender I can run to one 1 new camera, or can I daisy chain it to an other extender and power 3 new cameras or would I need a POE injectors?

Thanks,
AC

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply so I can use this with my existing cat6 run to my driveway camera. So I would pull the RJ 45 out of that camera and plug it into POE extender for power. Then run short cable cat6 wire back to my driveway camera to the extender port. Then the other port on the extender I can run to one 1 new camera, or can I daisy chain it to an other extender and power 3 new cameras or would I need a POE injectors?

Thanks,
AC
You can absolutely daisy chain it. The unit takes 3-5 watts off the POE. Your NVR probably provides a max of 30 watts per port. Your IPC-HDW5231R-ZE uses about 8.5 watts and the IPC-HDW2231R-ZS takes about 9.5 watts. So two cameras are probably fine off the NVR POE port, so you will need additional power, especially for a PTZ.

This may do the job and you put it where your NVR is and take the RJ45 from the camera you splitting out of NVR and plug into this and then a short cable back into the NVR... Amazon.com: PLUSPOE 60 Watt Gigabit Ultra Power Over Ethernet Plus (PoE+) Injector Supply, Full Duplex Gigabit Speeds, Supports 802.3af / at, Plug & Play: Electronics

Or another option if you have space and power close by at the end of the camera run is to simply put a POE switch where that camera is and then a short cable to the camera and run 3 lines from there to where you need them.

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great advice! I will probably try out option 1 and see how that goes for the 2 extra cameras. The PTZ I will have to run cable to to from the NVR. Just one more question when you split the line to two more cameras how will my NVR treat it? Also, will I be able to see the two extra cameras on my monitor?

Thanks,
AC

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great advice! I will probably try out option 1 and see how that goes for the 2 extra cameras. The PTZ I will have to run cable to to from the NVR. Just one more question when you split the line to two more cameras how will my NVR treat it? Also, will I be able to see the two extra cameras on my monitor?

Thanks,
AC
Even though both cameras will go into the NVR on the same POE port, each camera will be assigned an IP address, so you will end up having one empty POE ports on the back of your NVR. You will then probably have to manually find the second camera in the settings to assign it a camera number for viewing purposes in the NVR, but some have had success with the NVR auto finding it.

Keep in mind that your NVR can only accept 8 cameras since it is an 8 camera NVR. I thought I had read where people were able to get a few more on (flashing a firmware with 16 or something like that). If I find that thread I will post it here.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Even though both cameras will go into the NVR on the same POE port, each camera will be assigned an IP address, so you will end up having one empty POE ports on the back of your NVR. You will then probably have to manually find the second camera in the settings to assign it a camera number for viewing purposes in the NVR, but some have had success with the NVR auto finding it.

Keep in mind that your NVR can only accept 8 cameras since it is an 8 camera NVR. I thought I had read where people were able to get a few more on (flashing a firmware with 16 or something like that). If I find that thread I will post it here.

Didnt think this would work on an NVR model with built-in PoE switch and separate PoE ports for each channel??

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Didnt think this would work on an NVR model with built-in PoE switch and separate PoE ports for each channel??
It does on my neighbors Dahua NVR. Maybe we just got lucky, but we just did almost the exact same thing and hooked 3 cameras to a POE switch and then plugged into one port on the NVR, so he has 5 cameras each on their own NVR port and then cameras 6, 7, and 8 come into port 6 on the NVR via the POE switch

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sounds interesting and a better option for supporting more cameras. Do you think they make an outdoor Poe switch I can put in under my deck I have electric there and will be out of site.

Grn1z

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would put the poe switch in a plastic junction box. Then it would be free from direct rain.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It does on my neighbors Dahua NVR. Maybe we just got lucky, but we just did almost the exact same thing and hooked 3 cameras to a POE switch and then plugged into one port on the NVR, so he has 5 cameras each on their own NVR port and then cameras 6, 7, and 8 come into port 6 on the NVR via the POE switch

Interesting... I'll have to give that a try

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On my NVR with built-in PoE (16 channel) I think the first 8 are POE and the second set of 8 are not PoE and this makes me wonder if on the 8 channel the first 4 are PoE and the second 4 are not PoE so that this PoE switch that @wittaj is talking about is plugged into a non PoE port. The only reason I have to doubt this might be that he says he has 5 original cameras before the PoE switch that's plugged into port 6 on the NVR.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmmm The 8, 16, and 32 port Dahua NVRs I’ve installed recently, mostly the 5000 series, all ports shown are PoE.....

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow I hope you’re right about that. I thought only the CE999FE4-BB4E-47F9-BE7F-BE73A4F5DC43-1759-000000D1C6740274.pnggreen ones were PoE and the grey ones were not.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. I’m at 8 now so it’s good to know but now it makes me think I should get some more and that’s not good for my pocket!