Adding alarm I/O to Hikvisions without connector

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok,

I've settled on Milestone + NUC as my DVR due to low power and the ability to use in-camera motion detection to trigger records. This works great. I also want to integrate outdoor PIR to trigger records. I have instances where my PIR is tripped, but I don't have video recorded. Usually it's just a bird triggering the alarm.

One thing with Milestone, it won't record on 2 possible triggers, even if the camera has alarm I/O. I would want to trigger 2 or maybe 3 recordings with 1 PIR.

I already have the camera mounted and don't wish to swap it out. I like the size of the turret and I'm trying to avoid ladder time.

I figure there is no IO circuitry in the camera plus the menu system doesn't support it.

But I was thinking, the alarm/record flag exists in the IP packets. Is it possible to snoop the packets to determine what the record flag is and then either try to send the same packets with a device hooked up to the PIR (Raspberry Pi). If not, then I could build a Raspberry Pi in the middle of the camera and NUC that passes all packets thru dual NICs, then flip the alarm flag when the PIR is actuated.