Adding a WiFi camera to Dahua NVR

Kevin Doe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd like to add a WiFi camera to my Dahua NVR, and not really sure how to accomplish this (maybe a doorbell cam or otherwise). I currently have the setup shown below. How would I do the setup?

1. Can the NVR receive the feed from the LAN port, or do I have to run a new wired connection between one of my 24-port switches to an input port on the NVR?
2. Is there a better way to do this from a security standpoint? Should I setup a separate WiFi Network just for the cameras that go to the NVR?

1662479627630.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The best advice, is don't use Wifi Cameras if you can avoid it at all. Using wifi for surveillance cameras just isn't reliable due to the constant streaming nature.

But, yes it would work some what better if you placed the Wifi cam on it's own Wifi access point.
Best bet is to make any camera wireless, by using a secure transparent bridge such as two of these:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to add a WiFi camera to my Dahua NVR, and not really sure how to accomplish this (maybe a doorbell cam or otherwise). I currently have the setup shown below. How would I do the setup?

1. Can the NVR receive the feed from the LAN port, or do I have to run a new wired connection between one of my 24-port switches to an input port on the NVR?
2. Is there a better way to do this from a security standpoint? Should I setup a separate WiFi Network just for the cameras that go to the NVR?

View attachment 139120
Hi @Kevin Doe

Looks good.

Normally I want to reduce the load on my primary router, and put any wifi cameras on a separate router as close to the NVR / VMS box on the network as possible.

A lot depends in your case how much traffic is going through your main router / wifi router.