Add a remote camera to local NVR

SoperElite

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New to the forums, long time installer. primarily we work with Hik Vision cameras, DSC alarm panels, all major brands of networking gear, Vantage lighting control, etc. Everything then gets integrated using Savant. So I like to think I (sometimes) know what I'm doing!

I'm having an issue with adding an RTSP stream from a remote DVR to an open Channel on my Hik Vision NVR. I've successfully done this in the past several times and I've followed every step as I normally would but I cannot for the life of me get this working. I have setup a DDNS on the router and forwarded ports as outlined below:

external server port 8091 > internal server port 8000
external RTSP port 8554 > internal RTSP port 554
external HTTP port 8090 > internal HTTP port 80

Local NVR:
Model: Hik Vision DS-7716NI-I4 / 16P
FW version: 4.50

Remote DVR:
Model: AR314-8
FW version: 3.4.2

Objective:
add channel 1, 2 & 3 from remote DVR to an open channel on local NVR to send push alerts triggered by line crossing/intrusion to iOS device using Hik Connect. These channels will not be recorded on local NVR.

When I enter the stream path (rtsp:/[mydomain].dyndns.org:8554/Streaming/channels/101) in VLC to test I am prompted with a dialog box requesting username and password. Once I've entered the credentials the stream pops up right away. This tells me I am using the correct stream path and DDNS and ports are all properly setup.

so now from the configuration menu of the local Hik NVR I select camera configuration > IP camera > custom protocol. From there I enter the following information:
Protocol Name: AR314_CH1
Protocol: RTSP
Transfer Protocol: Auto
Port: 8554
Stream Path: rtsp:/[mydomain].dyndns.org:8554/Streaming/channels/101 (obviously where [mydomain] is I have entered MYDOMAIN :)
click OK

Then I select ADD and enter the following information:
IP Camera Address: rtsp:/[mydomain].dyndns.org:8554/Streaming/channels/101
Protocol: AR314_CH1
Management Port: 8091
uncheck "use default port"
username: admin
password: **
confirm password: **
transfer protocol: Auto
uncheck "certificate validation"

under status I keep getting "Offline (Network Abnormal)". I have even gone into NVR's I have previously setup this way and copied configuration over. Has anyone come across this or am I doing something wrong? I have never attempted adding a remote streaming channel to this model NVR specifically but I am very familiar with Hik Vision and have successfully done this on a few 9000 series NVR's.

I appreciate any help and advice!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone wishes to endorse the cyber risky practice of port forwarding - especially from :
long time installer
who presumably is putting their customer data at risk.
I think you need to check this out -